Custom Kalyway DVD - Change com.Apple.boot.plist

Yuusharo

4 posts in this topic

I've been here for a little over a month and have a great 10.5.2 setup, but now I want to take it one step forward and make my own custom install DVD. Until Dense comes out with his custom Slipstream script, I want to take what I know works (Kalyway 10.5.1) and modify it to include the Kalyway comboupdate, Kalyway kexts/kernel update, the Leopard Graphics Update, *AND* a modified com.Apple.boot.plist with an included EFI string for my 8800GT.

I know, it sounds like a lot. I can look around for guides on how to add additional packages, but no one seems to mention the plist above. Does anyone happen to know where on the Kalyway disc this is located? Or even better, does anyone know how to create some sort of script or package to overwrite the old one?

One more thing I'll have to test for myself is what will happen if I try doing all this at once. If I try the efi string before installing the Leo Graphics Update, it will kill my osx86. Is it almost impossible to have all these things (which require several reboots) installing at the same time?

They key to getting what you want is to start with a 10.5.2 DVD. That would already have Leopard Graphics Update as part of it which gives you 8800GT support. This would allow you to either use NVinject (preferable) or GFX strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

They key to getting what you want is to start with a 10.5.2 DVD. That would already have Leopard Graphics Update as part of it which gives you 8800GT support. This would allow you to either use NVinject (preferable) or GFX strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist.
Coincidentally Leo4All universal just came out yesterday, so I'll be sure to grab that distro. If it's already 10.5.2, adding some of Kalyway's packages (like Kext Helper, etc) will make my life so much easier.

The reason I'm not using NVinject is it has problems with my Gigabyte DS3R and netkas's sleep and shutdown kernels, which breaks one or the other. Even after removing it, I still have troubles. However, on a fresh install using only the GFX string, things are a lot more stable and reliable. That's why, although risky, I want to modify the com.apple.boot.plist to automatically add that string on initial install.

Dense, you're the master at this and I look forward to your slipstream osx project to be released. How do you go about changing the default boot plist to include this string?

Edit: Also, how do I create a package to install kext files? I know, its probably simple to find, but if you happen to know off the top of your head I'd be much appreciative ^^

Any suggestions? I'll keep it simple - I just want to find a way to make some kind of package I can add to my Leo DVD that will replace the com.apple.boot.plist with a custom one. I believe it's done with the EFI bootloader installer, so I'm hoping the answer is just as easy.