install Windows on 2nd SATA 3.5" HDD

5 posts in this topic

if i build a desktop PC which has 2 SATA 3.5" HDDs and install Leopard on the 1st, can i boot into a Windows install disk and install Windows on the 2nd HDD straight up? or is there some trickery involved?

i do not want to partition my main drive into a Leopard and Windows partition but have both operating systems on seperate SATA HDDs.

im assuming this is possible and very easy to do... unless im completely wrong.

if i build a desktop PC which has 2 SATA 3.5" HDDs and install Leopard on the 1st, can i boot into a Windows install disk and install Windows on the 2nd HDD straight up? or is there some trickery involved?

i do not want to partition my main drive into a Leopard and Windows partition but have both operating systems on seperate SATA HDDs.

im assuming this is possible and very easy to do... unless im completely wrong.

Very Easy.

Disable 1st HDD in Bios

Install XP

Re-enable 1st DDD

The only trick is the bootloader -- with grub its easy to boot off 2nd HDD, don't know about Darwin

Very Easy.

Disable 1st HDD in Bios

Install XP

Re-enable 1st DDD

The only trick is the bootloader -- with grub its easy to boot off 2nd HDD, don't know about Darwin

thank a lot! much appreciated :)

which bootloader does Kalyway use? Darwin? or is that only iATKOS

Hi I'm trying the same thing and running into a wall, but it might have to do with NOT disabling the osx HD when booting from the XP install disk. When I try and install XP I get the following error..."A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." It goes on to say my HD might have a virus or I should remove recently installed HDs.

I've tried changing the HD priority in BIOS from the OSX HD to the empty HD I intend to install XP on but no luck there.

My next step is to try and remove the OSX HD physically and try again but if I can just disable it BIOS that would be great but I'm not sure how to do it (Always had MACS).

Any ideas why I'm getting the install error would be appreciated. Thanks!

Morgan

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 MB, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT 512MB, Kalaway 10.5.2