Boot Disc Help

vacatino

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue booting into OSX. I've tried posting in the osx86 installation forum, but nobody seemed to have any insight into it. I thought those of you who had a better understanding of how Unix systems work would be able to help me.

So the problem is that I can't boot off of any osx install disc since my board (MSI P35 Neo2) isn't compatible. I am able to install off of a flat image, but I get hung up during boot due to a "package 0 didn't get an HPET" error. From my research, this is simple to fix by editing kexts. I'm wondering if I can use a boot disc for another form of Unix or Linux that would allow me to edit the kexts. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Can you enable HPET in your BIOS?

The trouble with writing to a HFS+ partition from a Linux install or Live CD, is that you need to edit fstab with a "force" option which I read and used a long time ago, but now I can't remember any longer.

I've tried it with both HPET enabled and disabled. It's definately an issue with my board/bios, because nobody else had gotten it to work with an osx86 dvd. The only way I can even get it on a HD is with the flat image. Thats why I'm hoping I can find a way to edit the kexts using something other than an osx86 boot dvd. I'm hoping that if some other disc will work then I can make it work on this board. If I don't have any other options, I'll buy an Asus Maximus Formula board, but the price difference makes me want to find some way to make it work on this board before spending more money.

Thanks a lot. I'll look throught those and see if i can figure anything out. If you thing of anything else let me know, but thanks for your help so far. Its more than anyone else has had to offer on this issue. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

If you thing of anything else let me know, but thanks for your help so far. Its more than anyone else has had to offer on this issue.

You are welcome, I am glad when I can help.

I have found a bit more:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-46023...-hfs+write.html

(especially starting from post #6)

And:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_hfsplus

I've done that. I even got rid of my IDE burner and bought a SATA one just to make sure. I've tried the install disc every way I know how, all the discs, all the boot options, and all the bios settings. OSX hates my MSI board. From my research, nobody has gotten it to work on one of these boards, but everyone I've found never tried the flat image. Having OSX actually installed on the disc is a big step. Thats why I want to make it work before bailing and spending a ton of money on a new board. Thanks again everyone.