Can OSX86 damage your hardware?

Schmacintosh

4 posts in this topic

When booting into OS X 10.5.1 on my laptop I have things mostly working, but the stuff related to power isn't happening at all.

No shutdown or restart - can logging out then using the power button do any damage?

No battery indicator, no cpu throttling that I know of - is there any danger of over-heating? Just genreally concerned about power management...that there isn't any

Has anyone here suffered damage to their hardware?

Thanks

Marco

Your laptop, by design, should be able to properly run with the CPU at full blast all the time, and the video card at max performance all the time. This is not optimal, as the fans will push hard and be loud, but really, the specs of the laptop must allow for this, as a PC you can't rely on is useless.

OSX86 technically shouldn't break anything, but depending on how it feels like cooperating with your laptop's thermal sensors it may need a little tweaking. I know iATKOS has an option to remove the thermal management, which I assume just hands it over to the laptop hardware to handle.

I did have my Inspiron E1705's video card (nVidia 7900GS Go) fail while in OS X, but I can't say for certain that OS X caused it. While I was trying to get info on a replacement I came across a few posts on Dell's forums and elsewhere about this same video card in these same laptops failing around the same time. So maybe it was just a bad part by design, who knows. I have pushed OS X pretty hard on my new Sager 5793 and it seems to run fine even when left running for days. I am curious how it will hold out over the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so afraid of possible damage to my notebook Aspire 4920. I am waiting now for answers to my topic about dangerous to notebooks. Of course I would like to have my OSX86 on my notebook. Have any ideas how to get kext for Ati Mobility HD 2400 XT (ID: 94C8)

Thanks!!!!

Have a nice day