Help needed for AMD install "blinking cursor" syndrome

30 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Firstly here's whats in my box:

Motherboard: Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe N570

Processor: AMD AM2 6000+

Memory: 4 x Corsair 1Gb 533Mhz

Graphics: PCi-E XFX 8500GT 512mb

HDD: Samsung HD401LJ 400Gb SATA (Vista Installed)

Hitachi HDT725025VLA 250Gb SATA (HSF+ Journaled)

Hitachi HDT725040VLA 400Gb SATA (NTFS Storage Drive)

I have downloaded Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI.iso for the usual place, burned it @ low speed (2x).

Booted to DVD, (after disabling USB2.0 support - but leaving legacy mode enabled in BIOS) got USB keyboard and mouse to work.

Went through Install procedure, used GUID to erase and format my 250Gb HDD to install on.

Installation went fine, got finall sucess box, green tick etc.. Rebooted, and....

Blinking cursor apeared and stayed for ever...

What i have tried:

I have done the FDISK command from DVD terminal, and still no joy, still boots to primary hdd (Vista) so i use m/b boot selector to oot to 250Gb disk, but still blinking cursor.

I have tried the chain0 file on c: (vista) hdd, but still no joy.

i have even tried using EasyBCD to set boot choices in VistaBootLoader. Again no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'll be 100% honest, i am a n00b when it comes to this, i have had linux mint running on ext hdd (not connected ATM) and that works fine from the EasyBCD loader i made.

I have not done any pre-patching or post-patching.

I don't really understanf kexts, well i sort of do, but not how they may bee required for installation.

Boot with the DVD, press F8, then type "-s" and type the following commands

cd /usr/standalone/i386
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 (X is the disk number and Y is the partition number on which you installed Leo)
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1
./startupfiletool -v /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v8

thanks, i understood that i need to use those commands, but i wasn't sure if that meant the guid bootlader is then installed or if i have to then install it, but i see what is meant now....will post results shortly :weight_lift:right.. i followed the commands from that list,results for each stage are:dd if1+0 records in 1+0 records out 512 bytes transferred in 10.450992 secsdd: dev/disk0: No such file or directorystartupfiletool: opendev(/devdisk0s1) No such file or directoryi assume disk is reffering to where osx86 is installed? if so i am sure disk 0 is the correct one.any thoughts?

hmmm,boot the dvd enter the terminal and type

cd /usr/standalone/i386
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 (X is the disk number and Y is the partition number on which you installed Leo)
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1
./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v8 (without the -v)

Could it be a chipset issue? As far as i am aware my board uses N570 chipset,also i have noticed, if i boot to DVD, and look in startup disk, only network boot and dvd drive are shown, no digns of my sata hdd.am i missing a kext for my chipset?i know ehn other people have installed this, they have options for their hardware while installing, i had no options in the advanced settings, just the standard options. :blink:i have just done that... as per your previous reply..i have also tried changing disk number from 1 to 0 and vice versa...i did that as per your last reply..also tried changing disk numbers but still has same reply in command line.i've done that as per your previous replyeven tried changing disk numbers, but still same response from console

no. you have zephyroth leopard amd 10.5.2, right? when you go into the customize panel you have the following option : toh 9.1.0 | kernel 9.2.0 kernel etc | etc | optional driver(or something)> chipset > via and sb | nforce select the nforce

ok :) maybe they were there afterall.. loli have re-installed with the nforce chipset option, and lan drivers,but i still get blinking cursor on re-boothow does the boot work??i have hdd1 with vista on, and hdd2 with osx on it.i selected mbr boot mode, is that right ?ok.. so now i've unplugged all my other sata devices, an put osx hdd on sata plug1,HFS+ partition erroris it in wrong format?

Ok once the dvd has loaded everything and you are on the install screen you go to DiskUtility

Click on your HD and erase it. Then go to Partition and create 1 partition but before erasing it make sure you select MBR in options and then click erase tab. Now you are ready to install it. When finished reboot and you are ready to enjoy OSX86. Good luck.

ok.. got new partition ready, just @ stage of selecting install options.

Essential Sys Software - Check

Additional Fonts - Check

X11 - Check

MBR Bootlader - Check

Nvidia Chipset - Check

Nvidia Graphics - Check (Kexts + 512 NVinject)

Forcedeth LAN - Check

leaves two choices.... which ToH kernel??? SSE3 9.2.0 or 9.1.0 ??

Can someone advise?

Ok..

Installs Perfectly with new hdd config and correct options...

Reboots, loads darwin, and loads apple loading screen, but after 30 seconds or so the screen goes black.

have run verbose mode, and it seems that the last statement is applenforce .... missed last bit

it then geos black too..

think it was referencing to drives... 0 found??

am baffled now lol