Thinking of setting up a leopard server and I have some ?

archer75

2 posts in this topic

I currently run a Windows Home Server box that has from time to time "lost" my data. So i'm looking for an alternative.

What I like about it is that it pools all my hard drives together into a single storage pool and it offers "duplication" so that if one hard drive dies my data will also be on another of the hard drives.

Now I know I can do a JBOD style setup in leopard(I don't recall apple's name for it) but it lacks redundency. So i'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without spending any more money.

I would need to get a new motherboard/CPU for use in leopard as my old socket 478 board would probably not work well as a hackintosh. I've seen some boards that have 6 SATA ports on them that would work well. And hopefully my promise TX4 controller cards will work too.

For hard drives I have:

2x160gb

2x250gb

2x500gb

1x750gb

So I can't do RAID with so many hard drives of different sizes as I end up losing a bunch of space.

I do have 2TB of data. 1tb just in movies alone that I access from my HTPC.

So what is the best way of setting up leopard server to do what I want? Single storage pool with redundency.

Any motherboard recommendations for this setup?

I currently run a Windows Home Server box that has from time to time "lost" my data. So i'm looking for an alternative.

What I like about it is that it pools all my hard drives together into a single storage pool and it offers "duplication" so that if one hard drive dies my data will also be on another of the hard drives.

Now I know I can do a JBOD style setup in leopard(I don't recall apple's name for it) but it lacks redundency. So i'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without spending any more money.

I would need to get a new motherboard/CPU for use in leopard as my old socket 478 board would probably not work well as a hackintosh. I've seen some boards that have 6 SATA ports on them that would work well. And hopefully my promise TX4 controller cards will work too.

For hard drives I have:

2x160gb

2x250gb

2x500gb

1x750gb

So I can't do RAID with so many hard drives of different sizes as I end up losing a bunch of space.

I do have 2TB of data. 1tb just in movies alone that I access from my HTPC.

So what is the best way of setting up leopard server to do what I want? Single storage pool with redundency.

Any motherboard recommendations for this setup?

Use a NAS, there are a lot of different raid configurations, like 0,1,5,10...