Getting ATI Radeon X1270 to work on 10.4.8?

Whoopysnorp

4 posts in this topic

OK, after many attempts I finally got OSX installed onto a partition on my Dell Inspiron 1526's internal SATA hard drive. My next challenge is getting the proper graphics driver. I am using the JaS 10.4.8 PPF1 image, and I used this thread as a guide to get me past the SATA hurdles. That guide recommends using the Callisto build 003 kexts, but I can't seem to get those to work. I've tried a couple of different builds, always substituting the original device ID for my own (0x0791f1002) and doing the usual permission repair/kextcache delete, but I get kernel panics on reboot every time, at the stage where the kernel is attempting to load the Callisto extension. Does anybody know of an alternate graphics kext I can try?

For reference, the Inspirion 1526 specs are as follows:

AMD Turion TL60

ATI Radeon Xpress X1270

2 GB RAM

ATI SATA controller

I have the 250 GB hard drive partitioned into ~200 GB for Windows XP and the rest for OSX, dual booting using OSX's bootloader.

Tried Natit without success...I can see from the boot messages that the driver recognizes my hardware, but I get a black screen when it's time for the login window to load. I read that the driver isn't necessarily designed for laptops so I plugged a second monitor in, but that wasn't getting any signal either.