AppleScript and Google API

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there is an easy way to pull data from Google (ie, stock prices, travel times, weather) and have them easily parsable in AppleScript. My ultimate dream is to create an application like HAL or the computer on Star Trek that you can easily query using human language to get the information you seek, but for now I will just work with more relevant issues. For instance, it would be nice to create an apple script that looks though my events, finds the location that the event is taking place, search it on Google Maps and remind me Travel Time + Traffic Time when I should leave. I often have to drive through Houston at odd times in the day and it would be handy to have my computer more or less say "If you want to get there in time, you had better get on the road". Is this wishful thinking? Should I be looking past AppleScript and more towards Cocoa? Any help would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

That seems like a very good question, which would be useful to me too. However, I am assuming that if there was a good API for getting information from Google, then we would see more applications like that.

And no, I don't think you need to move into Objective-C to do something like that.

I'm not terribly familiar with Apple Script, but I would have to think it is possible.

macprogrammer - Are you joking, or do you live under a rock? :P

Google is really good about making their API's available. Especially their maps API. There are several applications on the web which make use of it. That being said, I'm not sure how far in depth you can go... But as a starting point, I would hit up http://code.google.com/

I'm not terribly familiar with Apple Script, but I would have to think it is possible.

macprogrammer - Are you joking, or do you live under a rock? ;)

Google is really good about making their API's available. Especially their maps API. There are several applications on the web which make use of it. That being said, I'm not sure how far in depth you can go... But as a starting point, I would hit up http://code.google.com/

I guess I live under a rock. But honestly, there isn't an AppleScript API for Google Maps, or anything else. You might be able to do something using the terminal program curl.