64 bit kernel support with vanilla?

davehd

4 posts in this topic

Hello.

I am having some issues with VMware - installing a 64bit windows (to an image, which they claim is supported).

HOWEVER - whenever the VM starts, it claims the OS cannot start because it is not a 64-bit processor.

I have a core2duo, and I've only seen this error when trying to install x64 bit windows accidentally on an old AMD sse2 system.

This leads me to believe the vanilla kernel (9.2) is somehow only running in 32bit mode, rather than 64bit.

System:

Kaly 10.5.1 install - Kaly 10.5.2 update, 9.2 kernel update. MBR/EFI. Intel DP35DP mobo, core2duo,6gb ram.

Re-installing on a GUID drive to try to solve problem.

Which Core 2 processor do you have?

You will need a 6000 series or 8000 series Core 2 Duo with Intel VT enabled in order to run 64bit OS's. E4x00 won't work.

On AMD, you will need a Athlon 64 Rev E or later, or Opteron Rev C or later.

Good luck!

Which Core 2 processor do you have?

You will need a 6000 series or 8000 series Core 2 Duo with Intel VT enabled in order to run 64bit OS's. E4x00 won't work.

On AMD, you will need a Athlon 64 Rev E or later, or Opteron Rev C or later.

Good luck!

2160 - 1.6ghz. I can boot natively into both XP x64 and vista x64.

This leads me to believe the vanilla kernel (9.2) is somehow only running in 32bit mode, rather than 64bit.

All x86 versions of OSX use a 32-bit kernel--even Leopard.

Your E2160 like my E2140 doesn't support virtualization--not sure if it really is required for running a 64-bit OS virtually in OSX. It should be able to run as a 64-bit application in Leopard.

Well, I just tried installing x64 Vista on my iMac in Parallels, and it said "...this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode." Of course I am running Tiger, so I can't even run 64-bit GUI applications anyway.

How about using X64 Windows as the host and running OSX in VMWare?

Now I am trying to install Leopard in Tiger... doesn't work--too bad.