Winload.exe error everytime I boot to Leopard, then back to Vista.

7 posts in this topic

I followed this guide to install Kalyway 10.5.1 on my hpdv6000t with 2 partitions. Vista on 1st, Leopard on the 2nd. 1st partition is the active one. 8 second darwin loader works, but if I boot to Leopard and then try to boot back to Vista, I get winload error. Help!

Step 1: Install OS X86 10.4.x on the second primary partition

Step 2: Make the first primary partition active to install Vista

Boot up OS X and in a terminal window,

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

Step 3: Install Vista on the first primary partition

Step 4: Restore OS X86 in the MBR

Boot off JaS OS X86 dvd in single user mode (press F8 & type -s). At single user prompt,

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

update

write

quit

reboot

Step 5: Make the first partition active back to boot up Vista

At this point OS X86 should boot up and in a terminal window,

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

Step 6: Restore Vista on the MBR

Upon reboot, Vista will show "\Window\system32\winload.exe" corrupted.

Insert Vista disc & follow directions to recover.

Reboot & check that Vista boots up fine.

Step 7: Make second primary partition active to use Darwin Bootloader

Boot off JaS OS X86 dvd in single user mode again (press F8 & type -s). At single user prompt,

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

reboot

Should I try to use EasyBCD? When i add the entry for Leopard it doesn't auto fill the path in or whatever. What do I put for that? I'm not sure what letter it was assigned when I made the partition. Do I need to set the other partition active (one with Darwin loader) and THEN use EasyBCD to do it? I'm so confused...

Not sure if this is good or bad, but I (seem to have) got it working. I used EasyBCD and added osx86 to the boot list (not using auto-configure). Weird thing is I still get the Darwin menu, and when I try to open EasyBCD it says i dont have a Vista bootloader installed, AND under msconfig everything is empty. Nothing is listed there.

Seems to work though. Should I be worried?

EasyBCD does some weird things that aren't related to your Leopard install. I think it uses its own Darwin Bootloader and ignores the one installed on the Leo partition. You shouldn't have to do anything special if you use EasyBCD. The method you quoted is only if you wish to have OSX as the active partition and Vista as the secondary system.

The winload.exe error is caused by OS X overwriting the master boot record and destroying the disk signature. The disk signature has been optional but for some reason vista has made it mandatory. You need to fix it using the vista tools and then make sure that when you put back the boot0 file you dont overwrite bytes 440 to 444. That means do not use the fdisk update command or use the dd with a block size greater than 440.