Zephyroth's New DVD release success, but SLOW on boot :(

shurabas

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently installed Zephyroths DVD 10.5.2 in my MSI K9N Neo-F rev 1.0 (MS-7260) and everything went well and smooth!

*Maybe not that smooth, I experienced the 1 minute remaining freeze .. but that was easy*

The only problem that I experience now is a slow boot. It takes about 2-3 minutes before I can see the Desktop.

I also have a working INTEL hack that doesnt have this problem. This is the first time I've tried installing on an AMD pc .. so please forgive me of my ignorance :(

THe only difference between my AMD pc and my INTEL are SATA and IDE devices.

My intel uses ALL SATA devices = 1 SATA DVDRW + 1 SATA HDD (AHCI Enabled)

My AMD pc uses IDE devices only = IDE DVDRW + IDE HDD

*Also, the installation takes about 1 hr+ in my AMD PC*

*My intel takes about 15mins to install in AHCI mode*

*My intel takes about 1 hr+ to install in IDE mode*

*I can't find any AHCI mode in my MSI AMD board and besides, Im using IDE devices*

*My intel boots as fast in either IDE or AHCI mode*

Could that be the cause of the slow boot? IDE?

BTW, If I'm already in the desktop, everything is running fast. Its just the boot that's slow.

Any kext that I should remove? to make the boot process fast?

Full Specs:

AMD64 3000+

MSI K9N Neo Rev. 1.0 / MS-7260 with latest BIOS

2 x 512mb Apacer memory 667

1 DVDRW Toshiba

1 IDE HDD 80gb Maxtor

Palit Daytona 7300LE 128mb ddr

etc/etc

Please help :D

Thank you.

2-3 minutes before u see the desktop??? wow mine takes like 7-8 :S it does work tho, but i need to enable quartz extreme, because for some reason mac doesn't think i have 256mb vram dedicated. but anyways, its most likely a kext that is having problems. if you boot into verbose mode and look around, you might find what takes so long to load, and possibly, delete that kext. who knows, experiment, just don't delete stuff you think you shouldn't :)

2-3 minutes before u see the desktop??? wow mine takes like 7-8 :S it does work tho, but i need to enable quartz extreme, because for some reason mac doesn't think i have 256mb vram dedicated. but anyways, its most likely a kext that is having problems. if you boot into verbose mode and look around, you might find what takes so long to load, and possibly, delete that kext. who knows, experiment, just don't delete stuff you think you shouldn't :D

I'm having the same problem after the Kalyway's 10.5.2 combo update. I've got it working fine on another partition that installed the update manually. I cannot imagine why the bootup is taking so long. The Apple bootup screen spins like 20 times, then stops, then waits almost a full minute before showing the desktop.

My other 10.5.2 hackintosh spins like 4 times, then boots right into the desktop. I'm totally baffled.

Oh yeah,

I'm sorry .. I forgot to mention what I see in verbose mode .. its mostly about "PNY" ... I dont what that is and what kext is responsible for that. What is that PNY btw? Do you guys all have IDE devices as well? I'm now tempted to remove my SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD from my INTEL hack just to verify if this is caused by IDE devices. Maybe not now :) I'm still waiting for my intel hack to crash before I test it in my AMD PC .. lol

cheers

well shurabas, PNY is an offbrand manufacturer of many higher-end video cards, like NVIDIA. its probably your video card your seeing that has all the kexts along with it. if that might be whats taking so long, you may have multiple kexts for the one video card installed. and i have had nothing but trouble with SATA drives, i can't ever get mac installed on one, but IDE works fine for me. so try that and it should work. but im still having slow boot problems. weird thing is, i experience about a 7 minute black screen, even with verbose. verbose shows, but after a certain point, it dissappears and sits with the graphics active, but its a blank screen until the login window finally shows up around 8 minutes after boot up :S kinda odd i think. exactly what all does your show in verbose when it boots, and what all does it do at boot (like screen go off, weird flashes, computer do anything)???

• 3 weeks later...