Formatting a partition in Disk Utility

Engelkott

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

After a few days going though the forums and not finding the answer i am making this post in hope of finding the answer.

I am using 10.5.1 and what i want to do is when i am installing OS X is to go into Disk Utility and format a partition. What i keep having to do is trash the drive with x number of partitions then do whatever i need after. Now i have partitions on the hard drive i do not want to lose and i need to only format the OS X partition.

Any help will be appreciated!

Engelkott

Hi!

After a few days going though the forums and not finding the answer i am making this post in hope of finding the answer.

I am using 10.5.1 and what i want to do is when i am installing OS X is to go into Disk Utility and format a partition. What i keep having to do is trash the drive with x number of partitions then do whatever i need after. Now i have partitions on the hard drive i do not want to lose and i need to only format the OS X partition.

Any help will be appreciated!

Engelkott

In Disk Utility choose the partition you want formatted then on the right hand side select the Erase option now you get a screen where you can select the file system you want to put on it the best choice is HFS+ Journaled and the part below this where you see the disk?s? change this to what you want you partition to be named do not use spaces in the name, now you hit the Erase option and the warning window will pop up saying you will permently delete any information on the partition confirm you want to do this the partition will now be erased and formated with the chosen file system you selected.

Thanks for the reply, it worked which is a little weird! When i have tried this before i have not been able to install to the formatted drive but.... thats computing for you! =)

Thanks again!

Engelkott