os x install

bob12345

9 posts in this topic

this post is to ask 2 questions. to give some info that might help, i have a legit os x 10.4.9 installation disk that came from a macbook that i purchaced a few months ago. my first question is: can i use this disk (or a modified version of the iso from the disk) to install os x on my computer. i really dont want to pirate this. #2 is i have heard os x runs on pearpc, so i got an image of the disk and put it in ppc, but it says there are no bootable partitions

thank you in advance

The disk you have is probably intel - only as it came with a new macbook. With PearPC you can boot a universal 10.4.x original installation disk. But it needs a helluva lot of configuring and tweaking of PearPC. And don't expect any usable speeds with PearPC as it is slow.

The original OSX 10.4.x and 10.5.x installation disks really need to be modified/patched heavily in order to use them for installation on a regular PC. It is possible to install a new OSX version from a hacked OSX version using a modified installation on a few core duo systems that are able to run the vanilla kernel, but you need to insert an EFI abstraction layer before install/rebooting. There are some tutorials out there on the web, just google it.

i really dont want to pirate this.

By the time you hack and patch you just have.

(I would just download something and give it a try, if you insist in making your own, it will give you a map as to what to do)

pearpc:

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

Any emulators I ever got involved in were a slow disappointment, your mileage will vary.

ok, i decided to download one, but it messed up and i lost everything on my hard drive. so this time i want to be sure it will work. which kind should i look for? and one last thing. am i going to need to worry about osx "phoning home"?

Bob:

I'm talking a guy through a Intel SSE2 install here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=91231

Using the:

XxX_OS_x86_10.4.11_Install_Disc_Intel, rev 1.0

I have no idea what you have for hardware, and we are doing a stand alone Mac OS (no dual booting BS).

So you can kinda get the idea.

It does phone home, fill in {censored} if you like, or put your details in (they will just spam you with wonderful incentives to buy)