Leopard server installation...

Tranan

6 posts in this topic

Im trying to get a Leopard hackintosh computer to run as leopard server.

In Tiger you could just install the server services on top of a nomal OS X client installation.

I have successfully installed leopard using the Kalyway DVD.

Is there anyone that has succesfully done this ?

Or do you have to install it from scratch using the leopard server DVD ?

//TrN

there is no kalyway leopard server dvd,

however there is a method to install kalyway using the real Leopard install disk (not a kalyway disk),

you can try that method with leopard server dvd.

it should work.

keep me updated on this.

there is no kalyway leopard server dvd,

however there is a method to install kalyway using the real Leopard install disk (not a kalyway disk),

you can try that method with leopard server dvd.

it should work.

keep me updated on this.

Ok, interesting. :(

Do you have a link to some thread or guide about this ?

//TrN

• 5 months later...

I am interested in this as well. I know how to do it on a real Apple machine.

OS X Server is just the regular OS X Client with an additional server installation package. It installs all the UNIX server components, and Apple's GUI front-end applications for them. This package also does things like change the boot splash screen to say server, change the default desktop to blue, etc.

If you have the Leopard / Tiger Server DVD, go ahead into to the "Other Installs" folder located on that DVD. There you will find a package called "MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg". Installing this package will turn it into a Mac OS X Server machine.

However the problem is that on a real Apple machine,you must also run the Mac OS X Server Combo update that reflects the version of Mac OS X Client the system was previously running. So for example, if you were running 10.5.2, and installed the server package, you would then run the Mac OS X Server Combo Update 10.5.2 before restarting the machine. Doing this on a OSX86 install would certainly ruin it.

However, I think that if you just install the server tools, and no combo update afterwards, the system version will list itself as being 10.5.0, even though the machine was running 10.5.2 Client before. I believe the system will still boot & work as long as the Server install package doesn't mess with any OSX86 specific-stuff. You could change the system version string back to 10.5.2 yourself, but you would still be running version 10.5.0 of the server-side, which could deal hell in the future.

Someone try it!

• 2 weeks later...

I did this tonight. I Use iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 and used the Leopard Server to install the MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg from the disk. Then I used the Combo Update from JaS 10.5.4 Client/Server disk.

Works good. most everything I have tried works. All the apps I had installed still work. I only had the ones from iDeneb disk installed (OSX86 Tools, Pacifist, KextHelper, Xbench, etc).

I've been havin a rough time getting this to work .. My faithful AMD X2 3800 runs leo fine, installed from iDeneb. I then run the Server*.mpkg from the original 10.5 after successfully getting dns and a few other services to start all seems well. However once I upgrade using Jas' serverupgrade 10.5.4 once it has rebooted server admin fails to find a valid server. The message reads " There is no server available at the address you entered ". The Console shows servermgrd seg faulting.

Anyone else have a similar experience or can shed some light on the problem. I would be much appreciated with a hand