I want it so bad it hurts!

tripseight

7 posts in this topic

I'm an artist with a little bit of geek in me. But not enough to figure this thing out. XP64 and UBUNTU7.10 are currently coexisting happily on my PC. BUT I WANT OSX.5.

That's my story, now, here is my problem. I don't understand half of what I'm reading in these forums. For example.

"Load boot0 (grab it from your OSX CD/installation) via chainloader." What. How?

"Rather than making OS X boot via grub like Windows (chainloader), you can boot it like a Linux kernel" What's a kernel? I don't want any fried chicken.

I'm willing to put in the work here. I've been searching the forums and the wiki. I turn off my ethernet in the bios and do the F8 vanilla thing. But I'm in over my head and I don't even know how to doggy paddle. I've avoided the terminal like it had herpes. Is there a book or website that can get me through the basics of this thing.

I can figure this out; I'm not stupid, just ignorant. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Gunda-bah! He exclaimed with great relish!

I don't know how I missed this one. Thanks a bunch.

I was a PC guy made the switch back in the sawtooth days and just recently a "friend" convinced me to come back to the dark side. I haven't slept well since. I guess I just like the idea of having it all.

I'm a great date.

..."Rather than making OS X boot via grub like Windows (chainloader), you can boot it like a Linux kernel" What's a kernel? I don't want any fried chicken....
Man that got me laughing here at work. "I don't want any fried chicken."Well for me, I didnt know all that kernel stuff and boot loader stuff even though I do know computers I think pretty dang good going back to the dos days. It only gets complicated when doing multi boot. And even so you got some familiarity to that already. Just find a guide or somebody here that has the same specs that you have and you should be alright following their suggestions. For me I have an Inspiron 1520 which I already knew from even before this forum, had the same specs as some laptop macs. And all I needed was iAtkos. I think you'll do fine.