Dell Precision M6300 and OSX ?

winnimac

23 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just booted my Precision M6300 using the iATKOS v2.0i

Got full video going by adding the nVidia drivers in the VGA part (click customise at the last stage of install)

Not got any sound though (seems to install default HD output, but can't get anything on it), and got no network either (despite adding all network drivers on install).

Other than that (fairly major drawbacks) .. looks nice!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok guys, i tried iPC and i cannot move on from first grey apple screen with spinning wheel. any hint about the cause?

my M6300 runs T7700, 4gb and FX1600......i tried disabling anything included multi core but no way.....

any suggestion also in a better distro? tnx in advance.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problems. I Manage to get audio, wirless, no ethernet, Full Video, blutooth.

For Wireless and sound, I looked on the net and download "Dell laptop patcher"

the latest version 1.4.1 seems unavailable any longer. However I found versio 1.3 and it did the trick.

a. Wireless: Broadcom 1395

b. Sound: sigmantel: 9205 (this one worked but not from the ipc version of the same driver, go figure)

For video I used darwin with 512 since I have the 3600fx. if you have the 1600fx use the one with 256. It will properly identify it as a quadro fx.

However the " NVKush" drivers is the only one with properly shutdown and restart. The others like nvjet, darwing may look like the turn off the machine but dont (have to hold the power buttom)

Bluetooth: use the iobluetoothfamily and that should fix it.

Mu only problem, and is a BIG one is that usb drives crashes my system.

if anyone has any suggestions, please share!?

my two cents ;)

I had the same problems. I Manage to get audio, wirless, no ethernet, Full Video, blutooth.

For Wireless and sound, I looked on the net and download "Dell laptop patcher"

the latest version 1.4.1 seems unavailable any longer. However I found versio 1.3 and it did the trick.

a. Wireless: Broadcom 1395

b. Sound: sigmantel: 9205 (this one worked but not from the ipc version of the same driver, go figure)

For video I used darwin with 512 since I have the 3600fx. if you have the 1600fx use the one with 256. It will properly identify it as a quadro fx.

However the " NVKush" drivers is the only one with properly shutdown and restart. The others like nvjet, darwing may look like the turn off the machine but dont (have to hold the power buttom)

Bluetooth: use the iobluetoothfamily and that should fix it.

Mu only problem, and is a BIG one is that usb drives crashes my system.

if anyone has any suggestions, please share!?

I can help you!!!

I've a DELL M6300, CPU T7800, 4GB Ram, FX 1600M 256Mb, DELL Bluetooth, WIFI DELL 1505, Ethernet modded kext 10/100/1000, Sigmatel 9205 perfect! with ALCInject and modded AppleHDA, Keyboard working, PCI EXPRESS slot working (I use a PCIE - PCMCIA adapter with a wonderful Audigy 2 ZS Notebook drivers from Eugene Gavrilov).

USB HUB AND PORTS Functional out of the box.

I've everything working only shutdown/reboot issue, could you please post your working kext? Also FX 3600 kext is good, and NVCAP value.

What about your notebook specifications? And Leopard Install... I've done a native install 10.5.6, upgraded to 10.5.7 removed only AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and then my kext...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Flying Saucer!

So please help me... I have exactly the same Laptop as you.

I tried very much (iatkos, ideneb, xXx ... - nothing worked).

Now I am at the point that I installed 10.5.6 using a boot-132 CD. It is installed on an external HD because I had to format it with the GPT and the internal has to stay with Vista...

So booting is just possible with the boot-132 CD. Using the CD (I do not remember where I had this one from) I manage to boot OSX just fine. It recognizes the Monitor (an external HP 19") just fine and also the internal one.

But it doesn't recognize the internal keyboard nor the Touchpad.

I also dont have Sound

And most important it does not recognize the LAN nor the WLAN.

And shutting down leads to the same problem described by you.

I also have another boot132 CD with Dell drivers for an Dell Mini on it (mentioned in that thread: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x/3...3-v8-01-a.html). With this CD the laptop is capable to shutdown correctly and Touchpad and internal keyboard are just working fine (ok nearly, with the external USB Apple keyboard I manage to get for example "|" but with the internal one not... a bit of limitation on the shell)

But here the graphics card is not recognized so the resolution is bad and the second monitor not found.

Sound, LAN, WLAN are not functional.

So the minimum I want to change is to have LAN.

I tried the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext as mentioned in several threads here in the forum but with no success. I am not able to change the MAC address.

I also had to fix the Info.plist as my LAN is 0x167414e4 and not 1677 as most of the threads are speaking of. But just adding that line gives me an en0 interface but I am not able to use it...

So please Flying Saucer, tell me what you did.

Sound is not that important, LAN or WLAN is urgent.

Thanks

I

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Flying Saucer!

So please help me... I have exactly the same Laptop as you.

I tried very much (iatkos, ideneb, xXx ... - nothing worked).

Now I am at the point that I installed 10.5.6 using a boot-132 CD. It is installed on an external HD because I had to format it with the GPT and the internal has to stay with Vista...

So booting is just possible with the boot-132 CD. Using the CD (I do not remember where I had this one from) I manage to boot OSX just fine. It recognizes the Monitor (an external HP 19") just fine and also the internal one.

But it doesn't recognize the internal keyboard nor the Touchpad.

I also dont have Sound

And most important it does not recognize the LAN nor the WLAN.

And shutting down leads to the same problem described by you.

I also have another boot132 CD with Dell drivers for an Dell Mini on it (mentioned in that thread: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x/3...3-v8-01-a.html). With this CD the laptop is capable to shutdown correctly and Touchpad and internal keyboard are just working fine (ok nearly, with the external USB Apple keyboard I manage to get for example "|" but with the internal one not... a bit of limitation on the shell)

But here the graphics card is not recognized so the resolution is bad and the second monitor not found.

Sound, LAN, WLAN are not functional.

So the minimum I want to change is to have LAN.

I tried the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext as mentioned in several threads here in the forum but with no success. I am not able to change the MAC address.

I also had to fix the Info.plist as my LAN is 0x167414e4 and not 1677 as most of the threads are speaking of. But just adding that line gives me an en0 interface but I am not able to use it...

So please Flying Saucer, tell me what you did.

Sound is not that important, LAN or WLAN is urgent.

Thanks

I

Ehi man!!! THIS IS YOUR DAY lol.

Here it is the package with Audio and Ethernet perfectly working.....

With cdrom you have shutdown and reboot simple because it doesn't activate NVIDIA video card fully I.E. with QE/QI and resolution changing.... we need maybe some BIOS DELL hacking to have this perfectly working.

I've worked also on DSDL.aml, correcting everything inside and making some beautiful cleaning on 012 firmware release.

well....

and now...

your kexts...

Audio need 2 kexts an injector and AppleHDA modified (with mine you have also muting working perfectly, mic and line in and also autoswitching i.e. FULL) so backup your vanilla AppleHDA kext

Ethernet you need to add a kext AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (I've done the work but for original kext you need to say thank you to the forum and all people involved)

P.S:

Tell me if they are working for you.

P.P.S.

Here and in PM bye bye from Italy :wallbash:

P.P.P.S:

Sure the package lol

Your_Kexts.zip

Hi,

thank you very much. All worked fine. I have now network and sound working. Thanks! ;)

I've worked also on DSDL.aml, correcting everything inside and making some beautiful cleaning on 012 firmware release.

What is the DSDL.aml? Not found anything helpful googling around...

What still doesn't work is the internal keyboard and the touchpad - this would be fine if it could work (but isn't essential) and the WLAN (as LAN is working also not essential)...

And is there a solution that I can boot directly from HD without using everytime the boot132 CD? Let's say putting the CD in a boot partition or something like that?

Thanks for all!

What is the DSDL.aml? Not found anything helpful googling around...

It was my mistake.... no DSDL but DSDT.aml here it is the link to understand what it is and what it does...

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php

What still doesn't work is the internal keyboard and the touchpad - this would be fine if it could work (but isn't essential) and the WLAN (as LAN is working also not essential)...

You need this my 2 kexts AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, there's also another method but I prefer give info about what I've tested. In my notebook I've IW4965agn so no wifi, but i've bought a DELL 1505 natively supported.....

And is there a solution that I can boot directly from HD without using everytime the boot132 CD? Let's say putting the CD in a boot partition or something like that?

Sure you can use a bootloader for it, they support also extra folder for extra extension and also dsdt.aml loading at the boot. You need Chamaleon 2.0 nowdays I'm using UEFI wonderful!

P.S.

Tell me know about Trackpad and Keyboard ^^

P.P.S.

This is a request to everyone I would solve my issues about shutdown and reboot they come out as soon as some nv injector activate nVidia Quadro Fx1600M - 256MB maybe someone could solve it. I know also that 99% of DELL notebook users with nvidia have them.... maybe only a Bios patch could solve it.... waiting for godot lol

P.P.P.S.

Ahh argh.... you need this zip lol

Mouse_trackpad.zip

Tell me know about Trackpad and Keyboard ^^

Hi Saucer!

All right. All is working as wanted. Keyboard is fine, Trackpad is fine. The only anoying thing is the "@" symbol. I do not know how many times yet I tried to type one and closed the application. The german keyboard has it ALT GR-Q - but OSX closes with this combination the application. So I hope to learn the "Windows L" on my Dell-keyboard as "@"... or is there a posibility to use the keyboard with the keys as shown in my layout???

I haven't yet tried the chameleon bootloader but I will try it...

Thanks for all!

• 1 month later...

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get OSX to work on this M6300 for some time now. My stumbling block is using the Boot-132 CD it errors on /com.apple.boot.plist not found. I have seen both ACHI settings to be turned off and on. So Im not sure what thats supposed to be. Not doing anything fancy, like dual booting, just trying to get the internal hard drive to boot the OS. I do have a retail version of OS 10.5.6 that I bought, and I think my boot-132 copy is good. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

OSX 10.5.6 loaded on an M6300. I tried everything above but still no audio. This particular unit has a Sigmatel STAC9205 HD Audio. I have tried AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 and get "* Detected Unsupported Sigmatel CODEC" error. I am good with CLI and can make linux boot cds if necessary but need some guidance. Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Hi, maybe you can help me.

I use Rebel EFI and want to install OSX Snow Leopard

i prepared everything on my dell precision m6300 but after putting osx i see that i I need to restart my computer (in a couple different languages).

i try with ATA and that other sata mode, no success :)

Any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...
OSX 10.5.6 loaded on an M6300. I tried everything above but still no audio. This particular unit has a Sigmatel STAC9205 HD Audio. I have tried AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 and get "* Detected Unsupported Sigmatel CODEC" error. I am good with CLI and can make linux boot cds if necessary but need some guidance. Thanks,

Follow link below for correct kexts

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193289

Many Thanks to "tigrdragn"

I started out with iAtkos 4.0i (10.5.4), used disabler.kext to update to 10.5.6 (Apple Combo update)

Then updated to 10.5.7 then onto 10.5.8 all Apple combo's.

M6300 Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHZ with 4GB Ram

Nvidia FX1600M 256mb

genuine Apple Airport Extreme Mini PCIe WiFi card

All working LAN, Sound, BTooth, WiFi N Class, KB + Trackpad with above kexts except have now lost QE and CI on GFX, (was working fine before 10.5.6 update with NVKUSH) any help welcome