com.apple.Boot.plist rd=diskXsY ignored

omf

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I know I'm not the only one with this problem, as several searches in the forums here come up with many hits but no solutions, so I thought I'd try a very specific question:

Has anyone with the OSX install on a non-active partition been able to have the Darwin boot automatically select the correct partition (and avoid manually hitting F8 to select it) by using the "rd=diskXsY" setting in com.apple.Boot.plist (or by any other means)?

I've tried making other changes in the com.apple.Boot.plist file to make sure they were being obeyed, and they are. I set the default graphics mode to 1920x1200 and tried the "-v" boot option - they both worked.

Although my OSX partition is a primary one, it's not the first one nor the active one. The first partition is NTFS for Vista. That's the active partition, and I've configured the Vista boot loader to let me start OS X (by loading the "chain0" loader).

So... who has the magic bullet??

I'm in the same boat. I think for now the best thing to do is make the OSX partition active, remove OSX entry in Vista bootloader and then if you need to boot into Vista you just need to press f8, otherwise it will boot into OSX (by default). Yah I know you want to boot into Vista by default. I haven't found much luck.

It has been my understanding that the com.apple.Boot.plist runs AFTER the initial system boot, thus the reason why rd=diskXsY doesn't work... The system would need to boot first before it looks at the com.apple.Boot.plist. I could be wrong though...

Except, if that were the case, there wouldn't be any point in having that option. Does anyone have a pointer to a comprehensive list of all the Darwin bootloader options? No help is displayed when I hit '?' at the prompt (I think it's showing something, but it's getting wiped off the screen before I can see it).

• 1 year later...