Chain Booting Error

doug98698587

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've run into a little problem. I used to have Windows XP on my computer, then i successfully dual booted XP and Mac OS 10.4.9. I had a free upgrade disk from toshiba to upgrade to Windows Vista, so I did. I was still able to run Vista and OS X. Now I tried installing Leopard (10.5) and dual boot with Windows Vista. Now Windows Vista boots fine but when I go to boot leopard i get a "Chain Booting Error". I've found other topics on this forum similar to my problem but I have not found a solution. I've tried EasyBCD as well as ACronis. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in Advance,

Doug

Hey guys, I've run into a little problem. I used to have Windows XP on my computer, then i successfully dual booted XP and Mac OS 10.4.9. I had a free upgrade disk from toshiba to upgrade to Windows Vista, so I did. I was still able to run Vista and OS X. Now I tried installing Leopard (10.5) and dual boot with Windows Vista. Now Windows Vista boots fine but when I go to boot leopard i get a "Chain Booting Error". I've found other topics on this forum similar to my problem but I have not found a solution. I've tried EasyBCD as well as ACronis. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in Advance,

Doug

Maybe the problem is that:install OSX after Vista (sometimes it makes OSX inactive).Try activating the partition:

boot from the DVD with -s,then...

->sudo -s

->fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)

->update

->f X --->(X is the number of the OSX partition )

->w

->q

->reboot

Installing first OSX may prevent that problem (I once installed OSX after Vista and this worked for me).Try it...

Maybe the problem is that:install OSX after Vista (sometimes it makes OSX inactive).Try activating the partition:

boot from the DVD with -s,then...

->sudo -s

->fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)

->update

->f X --->(X is the number of the OSX partition )

->w

->q

->reboot

Installing first OSX may prevent that problem (I once installed OSX after Vista and this worked for me).Try it...

thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I typed my original post well. I already had Windows Vista installed and then added OS X. I'll try this though and let you know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I typed my original post well. I already had Windows Vista installed and then added OS X. I'll try this though and let you know how it goes.

Hello,

got the same problem as you: "chain booting error". Making partition active got no effect for me.

How did you solve it?

Thanx! :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

I have also the same problem. I have already installed Vista and then installed successfully Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2, but when I have the partition of the OSX active I get a "Missing Operating System" error and when I set the Vista partition active I get a "Chain Booting Error".

What is wrong???

Is it possible to be that I have set active the partition that I have installed the OSX and the installed it?