10.5.2 freeze - mouse works but dock, menu bar does not respond

d2a

3 posts in this topic

Had a very stable system - kalyway 10.5.2 with the graphic update installed, and have had no problems until yesterday

running Windows Remote Desktop app to RD to windows machine - clicked on a link within RD and system froze. mouse cursor still present and moving. hold f12 ejects optical drive. but dock, all windows and menu bar do not respond to rollover or clicks. apple,alt,esc does nothing.

in the end a restart and back to normal. happened three or four times yesterday and i'm now pretty sure it's not remote desktop related. couple of messages in the console could be related. i'm waiting for the next freeze to be sure...

24/02/2008 21:09:06 com.apple.launchctl.System[2] Cannot allocate memory

24/02/2008 21:09:06 com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not stop cache/fetch history: Cannot allocate memory

Any suggestions as to what this might be? dodgy ram perhaps? temperatures have been monitored since first built and are very cool - no overclocking going on either.

@mragonias - thanks but that's not it. not a wireless mouse, and the mouse was not frozen - everything else was.

good news though - think i know what it was. i did something really dumb - a few days ago i'd rebuilt the system with a new cpu cooler and had to unplug everything. put it all back together BUT forgot to plug in the GPU power lead. i'm guessing the graphics card was freezing from lack of volts. DOH! still, all plugged back in and healthy so far - hopefully no permanent damage done.

cheers