Help getting kalyway to boot with vanillla

mschlott

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to install Kalyway with vanilla kernel on a new PC. When I do, the install goes fine, reboots, then every time it trys to access the hard drive, it instantly reboots. If I boot from the dvd and let the countdown time out, it accesses the hard drive as it should, then instantly reboots. No boot loader or anything. I have successfully installed Kalyway on this same configuration without vanilla and it boots fine, as long as I boot off of the dvd. I guess the disk did not get blessed during installation.

My motherboard is an ECS 945GCT-M/1333 V3. I believe this is Intel 945 and ICH7.

Here are my questions.

Is the efi on kalyway 10.5.1 dvd version 8?

Does it matter which hard drive I install to? I am using a SATA DVD and an ata hard drive. The drive shows up as disk0.

Is there a step by step for getting kalyway to install using vanilla kernel that is not multi-boot and does not assume I allready have a 10.4 installation of some kind. I have kalyway dual booting with vista on my laptop. This proves nothing except that I can follow directions. I'm hoping I am simply missing a step somewhere.

TIA

mike

I left off one key piece of information. My CPU is an E2200. Although it is a dual core pentium, this is not a core 2 duo. Will this prevent vanilla kernel?

No. I had a Vanilla kernel on a friends Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz, and it was great.

Devin, thanks for the info. I confirmed this with some searches.Would you share with me your I/O configuration? I see you are using a sata drive. Did you install using a sata or IDE DVD? If sata, which SATA ports are your disks connected to? Did you install from the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD or other? Do you have any additional drives installed? If so what ports are they connected to?I was just able to get a vanila kernel install to work, but only after installing a second ATA drive as a slave to the first. Rebooting from the Kalyway DVD automaticly booted from my previous non-vanila kernel on my master HD. If I break the BIOS boot selector and pick my slave HD as a boot device, it would not boot unless, I selected -x -f -v cpus=1. I'll try to narrow down of these is required. Thanks mikeI just verified that booting from my slave drive with the vanilla kernel installed, I can not boot without specifying cpus=1 as a boot option.I am going to try re-installing with the vanilla kernel on my master ata drive.

Re-installed on master drive using guid partitioning and vanilla kernel. On boot, I get "System config file com.apple.Boot.plist not found". From other posts I see people are having luck installing to a sata drive after getting this message. Booting from my other install, I can see that /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist does exist, and is identical to the same file on my other drive which does boot. I know this has to have something to do with the hardware path to the drive.

I'll see if I can pull a sata drive out of my MCE machine without destroying it.

mike

Upate. I installed a SATA in addition to the 2 ATA drives. The results were the same as before. I removed both of the ATA drives and was able to sucessfully get a bootable install. I was watching the log file during every install and found that each time I had a problem, I would get an error like this at the very end.

Unable to write InstallType cookie file for setup assistant to pick up.

When the install works correctly, it will write...

InstallType cookie was sucsessfully writen for setup assistant to pick up.

Unfortunately after the install I ran into a problem. The system only boots with cpus=1. I have set the BIOS back to defaults and the execute bit is disabled. Looking for any pointers to fix this. I will begin reading.

I also managed to screw up the install by attempting to install the 10.5.2 update from the software updater. I thought I might be able to do this with a vanila kernel, but during the installation phase I got a kernel panic after some messages about didn't get HPET. I'll look that up to.

I am trying to get as clean and repeatable install as I can so I can easily recover in case of a disaster.

mike

Ahhhhh! Execute Disable bit should be set to "Enable". Duh! I have been reading this as some sort of bad english double negative and thinking it should be set to disable.

After setting "Execute Disable bit" to "Enable" in the bios, I can now boot without using cpus=1. My e2200 now shows up as a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and both cores show up under more details.

Sweet.

If you are having trouble installing using this motherboard, fix this one setting and pull out all hard drives but the one you are installing on. After doing this, it is a straight install using Kalyway 10.5.1. At this point the only thing not working is sound and sleep.

Does sleep work for anyone on this board? Mine sleeps and wakes up, but my monitor does not get a signal. It could be working, and just be a problem with my monitor.

• 2 months later...

Does it matter if my sata hdd is on the second port of my mobo sata connectors? I don't have the same mobo but i have the exact same problem with the installtype cookies