My Machine Locks up Routinely

koadansc

3 posts in this topic

I have been using iATKOS' Leopard 10.5.1 for a long time and everything works(Time Machine, QE, CI, Resolutions, you name it). However, when the 10.5.2 update came out I immediately got Kalyway's update and installed it(I also installed the kernal). Unfortunately I had so many problems that I wanted to roll back the OS. I reformatted and reinstalled the OS, booted into the OS X Setup and told it to restore all of my my stuff from a Time Machine backup.(FYI I only chose the following: Main System, intel speedstep, the cooling kext for Celeron D processors, and the NVInject 256MB Driver) After that I have had nothing but problems.

It seems to be an enormous memory leak because after my computer runs for maybe an hour or so I start having minor problems. i.e. the eject button on the menu bar will do nothing but make the beachball thing spin. Then its apps like iMovie that lock up and if I let it go long enough Finder will eventually have problems and I wont even be able to do a soft restart. After a hard restart it works perfectly for a while but it inevitably has problems.

*Edit* I almost forgot to add one crucial detail. When apps crash I can right click on them and select Force Quit, it works MOST of the time but the app still stays as an active app in the dock(though it doesn't appear in activity monitor). The only way to make it disappear from the dock is to do a hard restart and the only way of resolving the problem with the eject button on the eject bar is also to do a hard restart.*Edit*

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? I think it could be that Time Machine restored some files from 10.5.2 that are conflicting with 10.5.1 system files and causing a major memory leak. If anyone has any suggestions I can restore or reinstall my system and ill try to answer any questions you have.

Thanks for all your help and thanks to iATKOS for a great version of Leopard.

Only suggestion I can give is use Superduper or Acronis and do images for backups once you get everything straight again. I have an extra internal drive just for storing images and mirror copies and whenever I'm gonna mess with a working system I make a backup. I don't trust Time Machine even on my real Macs. It's just a hacked together version of rsync. I wouldn't trust it for anything but simple data file backup/recovery.