Failure of Time Machine Restore

jviner

5 posts in this topic

Here's my problem:

I have Kalway 10.5.2 installed. Ran updates including the video updates (I know I was taking chances). Got stuck on blue screen.

I have tried (three times now since first leo ToH 10.5 install) to restore from Time Machine via the install DVD. Each time I have done so I have repaired the boot to return to Vista. I then run diskpart, check for AF on leo partition, and rebooted. I can not get past the chain0 booting error. I know this is an issue with the darwin loader not being recognized on the correct partition. My question is: can this be repaired? I know I can do a fresh install and restore settings migration style, but what is the use of having this feature if it won't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Search features keeps giving me an error.

Jim

Specs:

Toshiba P106

Dual 1600

Intel950

Intel Pro 10/100

working

3945 ABG

Intel USB

TI PCI Cardbus

Not working

Best way for me is to use a Tiger installation on another disc. Or use the DVD, but you're forgetting some basic stuff. After the Leopard restore, run the terminal from the DVD and do these steps:

1. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsx (change to your partition)

2. update, print, f x (the partition seen after print), w, q

3. bless -device /dev/rdiskXsx -setBoot verbose

Restart, this should be enough I think for a non Vanilla kernel installation.

Thanks, I tried this but it actually fried my Vista partition. Afterwards, I tried the old boot from Vista DVD but the vista partition showed up as RAW. Tried the fdisk /mbr but it didn't work. I just finish restoring everything. Unfortunately the migration wizard isn't working. Oh well, I'm sure that someone will eventaully come up with a "fix".

Thanks for trying.

Jim

Best way for me is to use a Tiger installation on another disc. Or use the DVD, but you're forgetting some basic stuff. After the Leopard restore, run the terminal from the DVD and do these steps:

1. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsx (change to your partition)

2. update, print, f x (the partition seen after print), w, q

3. bless -device /dev/rdiskXsx -setBoot verbose

Restart, this should be enough I think for a non Vanilla kernel installation.

Are you sure you picked the correct partition when you used the fdisk and bless command? If you type print in fdisk, you can see a table of the drive you typed in, if it says it's an NTFS partition or so, you're messing with the Windows disc and should change the nr. Also, didn't the Vista repair function work?

• 1 month later...

i have that problem too, after restoring the leopard with time machine, i got the "chain booting error" .

I booted to Vista, deleted chain0 in C: and the entry in msconfig, then i reedited the boot manager, but no-go.

Luckily i also backed up with Norton Ghost, restored in 15 min. ( Norton Ghost is good but it creat an image , therefore cost many Gb )