I CANNOT GET TIME MACHINE TO WORK

iwantsound44

12 posts in this topic

What is the error message you are getting ? Does it say "Backup Drive not found" or "Backup size is too big" ? If the first one is what you encountered then also check in the Console that if there are some error stating UUID. You have to replace the IONetworkingFamily file in the IONetworkingFamily.kext

For the second error, you just increase the drive size.

Waht format is the drive , remember it will only backup to it if it is HFS+! Not even NTFS with nt3fs or paragon,

It HAS TO BE HFS+

StiCMAN

it just says failed and inside the external harddrive there is nothing...i have a 500 gb external harddrive so its pleanty big...

Same setup as you (iATKOSv1r2 updated using kalyway 10.5.2 and 9.2 kernel)

Same problem as you, Backup drive could not be found.

Installed the kext from the sticky at the top and still nothing. Weird

External is mounted and formatted HFS+ and chosen as Time Machine drive

En1 = Airport (that doesn't work)

En0 = Ethernet Adaptor (for Belkin RT2500 USB wireless, that works fine)

I posted this same info on the "Sticky" thread yesterday, but here it is again:

I went through the same IONetworkingFamily.kext exercise without success, and then I found this on another website:

-------------

"Browse to the Time Machine drive in Finder, there should be a folder called 'Backups.backupdb' in there there should be one folder with the name of your machine. Check that the folder name matches the 'Computer Name' set in 'System Preferences / Sharing'."

-------------

So, what I did was:

I told Time Machine <tm> to use "No Drive", which turned off TM. I then opened my backup drive/volume in finder and created the two folders referenced above. I then went back to the TM preferences and re-selected my backup drive (an external 500GB USB drive). I then started a TM backup and noticed TM created another folder on my backup drive with the same name as the manually created folder but with the prefix " 2" (space-two). I suspect perhaps only the first folder (Backups.backupdb) needs to exist for this work-around to succeed, but I haven't tried creating just the first folder.

Now TM is working just fine on my ol' Inspiron 8600 (Kalyway 10.5.2; netkas 9.2 kernel (SSE2) ).

- ZeeJM