zephyroths leopard 10.5.2 on usb harddrive help!

blackcr0w52

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am very new to all this and had a question about installing leopard onto a 160Gb external usb drive. I searched around, but there isn't alot of information for this. Most people are using an internal Sata or IDE hdd. My question is what format do I need to have this drive in before I start the install? Fat32 or NFS+? I tried the install last night and got past the point where it asks for language to where it asks for the drive to install on. However this area was blank and had nothing to choose from. I've been reading that I need to make a partition on the drive that is fat32, but wouldn't that mean I could only use a portion of the drive? especially since fat32 has a very low size limit? please help if you can, I am a huge newb. thank you

EDIT-sorry forgot to post my specs

AMD athlon 64x2 4600+

2 gigs of ram

ati radeon x1900xt x2 in crossfire (proabaly wont work in leopard)

ASUS A8R32-MVP deluxe motherboard

1 internal 250Gb SATA hdd (not messing around with this for leopard)

1 external 160Gb usb hdd-WD my passport essential (I hope this isn't the problem.)

Hey I installed Leopard 10.5.2 on my USB Maxtor Hardrive and it's doing fine just a few minor issues but it's ok. Anyways first of all to install it on your USB harddrive don't format it as anything yet, NTFS or FAT 32. Go ahead boot into the cd and after the first two screens, you'll get a welcome to leopard screen and on the top there will be a menu bar. Click on utilites and under that menu you'll see disk utility. And there you should see your USB Harddrive. In there you need to format it as HFS+ with MBR. The way to do this is highlight your harddrive and then a menu should pop up. Erase, Raid, Partition and something else. Anyways click on partition and select one partition from the Drop Down menu and make sure two things, that it's HFS+ Journaled is selected and MBR and it will format it. And then your drive should show up.