New Leopard User - A few questions

ixion

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I just got a 24" 2.4GHZ iMac.... I'ver never used Mac before but I've figured out quite a bit in the last two days that I've had it but I have a few quesitions that I have not been able to find answers for using google cos I guess its just a bit to generic

1) MS MSN Messenger: I have two users on the iMac (my girlfriend and I) and I have the quick user switching enabled and its really great to be able to switch so easily between two user accounts. What bugs me however is that when I load up MSN Messenger it adds an icon to the desktop to say that its been mounted, if my girlfriend then loads up MSN Messenger too then we both end up with two of these "mounted" icons on our desktops. I guess I wanna know on earth we have to have this mounted everytime we want to run it, and twice if are both running it at the same time - its just odd, no other application does this? Can I fix this?

2) Samba Shares: I have managed to add a server to my favorites and am able to browse the network shares that I need to access to by going to Go > Network and browsing. I am wondering if I can add shortcuts or mountpoints to the desktop so I can access these shares more easily?

I'm sure I had more questions but I cant think of them right now and I'm not even sure if anyone will respond anyway so I might have more questions to come later on - thanks for reading!

Stu

In Finder's preferences you will see "Show these items on the Desktop".

Tick "Connected servers".

After this, if you navigate in Finder to a computer share, you will see it on the desktop as a mounted drive. Right click on it and choose "Make alias". After this, you can untick in Finder's preferences "Connected servers", and your alias what you made before will remain on your Desktop.