Why we cannot use Apple Leopard DVD?

jjoe

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is just a chat topic. I am wondering why we still cannot use Apple retail DVD to install Leopard.

The OS is for Intel CPU, and I think the hardwares in a Mac pro are like what we can buy from newegg.

But we still cannot use Leopard DVD to install. Is there anything I am missing?

n00b here ... Apple BIOS != EFI ?

I've been asking myself the same question "what do I need besides EFI to boot / install from the retail Leopard DVD?"

i think you'll need some EFI stuff from Apple to boot from DVD as it's used to initiate the mach kernel on DVD and some anti Dont steal mac os.kext solution. not sure about all of this tho

PC-EFI is *not* an EFI layer. Its a way of 'emulating' the effects of EFI from within the Darwin Bootloader.

So Apple BIOS != PC-EFI is correct. However, Apple BIOS == EFI + Apple's EFI modules. Nobody has gotten those to run on non-apple hardware yet.

Thanks MUNKY, that the more technical version of it! ;)

SticMAN

PC-EFI is *not* an EFI layer. Its a way of 'emulating' the effects of EFI from within the Darwin Bootloader.

So Apple BIOS != PC-EFI is correct. However, Apple BIOS == EFI + Apple's EFI modules. Nobody has gotten those to run on non-apple hardware yet.