10.5.2 and TimeMachine network backup failure

AlienFan

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

with 10.5.1 using TimeMachine for network backups to my Leopard-Server worked perfectly. Even though the restore procedure was horribly slow (3 days for 55GB!).

But after the "successful" update to 10.5.2 I cannot backup anymore to my network share. I realized, that it is not possible to mount the user share while using the local administrator account. Thus, TimeMachine is unable to mount the network share to create backups.

Note: I did an update on my server machine as well (it's a MacMini running 10.5.2. server). Otherwise, I didn't change any settings on the server's side. Backups from "real" MAC machine run perfectly.

Ordinary shares with AFP work perfectly (I use Kerberos single sign on).

Any idea what the trouble could be?

Thanks in advance,

AlienFan

Hi,

with 10.5.1 using TimeMachine for network backups to my Leopard-Server worked perfectly. Even though the restore procedure was horribly slow (3 days for 55GB!).

But after the "successful" update to 10.5.2 I cannot backup anymore to my network share. I realized, that it is not possible to mount the user share while using the local administrator account. Thus, TimeMachine is unable to mount the network share to create backups.

Note: I did an update on my server machine as well (it's a MacMini running 10.5.2. server). Otherwise, I didn't change any settings on the server's side. Backups from "real" MAC machine run perfectly.

Ordinary shares with AFP work perfectly (I use Kerberos single sign on).

Any idea what the trouble could be?

Thanks in advance,

AlienFan

the problem is that the 10.5.2 overwrote IONetworkingFamily.kext. So in order to fix it, you have to restore that kext from a backup you made, or from wherever you got it from originally.

Once you do that, it should work. it did for me.

Hi,

tried your suggested method, but failed. I still get the strange error message:

Time Machine: Error -5002 returned by NetAuthOpenSession()

I know, it's the afpBadUAM error code. But it's nonsense, as I can login without any problems.

I guess, there got something terribly wrong with this 10.5.2 update. E.g. I additionally miss a bunch of log files now, which existed before.

/Alien