Leopard on a MSI Megabook S262 (Centrino)

Abercrombie

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

EDIT: Please have a look at the 6th post. Installing 10.5.1 works with that guide!

I try to install iATKOS 1.0i r2 on my MSI Megabook S262 (Intel Core Duo, Intel 945GM + Intel ICH7-M, etc. more infos) a pretty typical Centrino notebook.

(I've installed uphuck 10.4 a couple of times, so I thought this wouldn't be a problem *harhar*)

Well I've done it this way:

1. Boot up the DVD.

2. Click on "->"

3. Click on "Agree"

4. Click on "Continue"

5. Click on "Utilities" -> "Disk utilities"

6. Select the hd

7. Click on the tab "Erase"

8. Enter the name "Macintosh HD"

9. Click on "Erase"

10. Close disk utilities

11. Select "Macintosh HD"

12. Click on "Continue"

13. Click on "Customize"

14. Select "Bootloader" -> "Darwin EFI" with all suboptions (This makes OSx86 compatible to originial Apple updates, does it?)

15. Select "Drivers" -> "System" -> "Intel Speedstep" (It's a Intel Core Duo so this should work)

(That's all, because I thought my system is more or less compatible with a macbook)

16. Click on "Done"

17. Click on "Install"

18. Wait

19. Remove DVD while rebooting

The cursor blinks, but nothing happens. No boot. Nothing. :(

Any ideas?

Does I have missed something?

Regards,

Abercrombie

I finally got it working. I've used the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. Here's my way:

You'll need a FAT16/32 USB memory stick with efi_v80 on it and the latest AppleSMBIOS.kext You will find both at netkas.org

I've erased all partitions with gparted but it might not be necessary...

• Insert the DVD and the USB memory stick.
  • Boot up the DVD by pressing any key.
  • Wait
  • Select your language and click on "-->"
  • Click on "Utilities" -> "Disk utility"
  • Select the harddisk (not the partition)
  • Click on the tab "Partition"
  • Select "1 Partition" as "Volume Scheme"
  • Enter the name "Leopard"
  • Check the "Format". It should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
  • Click on "Options", select "Master boot record" and confirm with "OK"
  • Click on "Apply"
  • Confirm again with "Partition"
  • Close the disk utilities
  • Click on "Utilities" -> "Terminal"
  • Go to your USB memory stick by typing "cd /Volumes/USBSTICK/pc_efi_v80"
  • Type "umount /Volumes/Leopard"
  • Type "./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v8"
  • Type "dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1"
  • Type "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1"
  • Close the terminal
  • Click on "Continue"
  • Click on "Agree"
  • Select "Leopard"
  • Click on "Continue"
  • Click on "Customize"
  • Select "Bootloader" -> "Darwin EFI" with all suboptions
  • Select "Drivers" -> "System" -> "Intel Speedstep"
  • Click on "Done"
  • Click on "Install"
  • Wait
  • Remove DVD while rebooting

To install 10.5.2 download the dmg from the apple website.

• Open a terminal
  • Type "sudo su -" and enter your password
  • Type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"
  • Run the 10.5.2 installer ("Continue" -> "Continue" -> "Continue" -> "Agree" -> "Install" -> Enter your password -> "Continue Installation" -> DO NOT REBOOT!)
  • Go back to the terminal and press CTRL-C to terminate the loop
  • Type "chmod u+w /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1"
  • Type "vi /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1"
  • Locate (almost at the end) the line "kextload "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext""
  • Change it to "kextload "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"" (press i -> edit it -> press ESC -> type :wq)
  • Type "chmod u-w /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1" (This may be not necessary)
  • Type "mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext.backup"
  • Type "cp -R /Users/USER/Desktop/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/"
  • Reboot (My system does not shut down, so i killed it after a few minutes)

Booting does not work either. I can see the apple logo and the ring spins, but nothing happens. Starting with -v does not give my any further info. Do you have some? Please help me to finish this small guide.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys and Abercrombie ,

I want to buy this msi and I want to put Mac osx Leopard or Tiger , but after your topic I don't understand if you success with installation of this OS on your MSi !!

Can you explain better to me?!?

Br

Pierpaolo

Hey Airtek,

yes, I was pretty successful with the Megabook. It's running 10.5.3 at the moment.

The only problem left are some graphic issues. Sometimes the mouse cursers "repeats" and does not disappear. But i hope it will disappear with a new driver.

Suspend and resume does not work (it does not work with all other PCs I've installed OSX86 on...)

Every tenth time the book does not shut down.

That's it. I'll probably sell it in some time. If you're interested ;)

omg you spent 5 months to make it work!!

buddy all iATKOS series are made on MSI Megabook s262 intel core duo t2300

gma950 driver works without mouse tearing, sleep works perfect with netkas or mac.nub smbios and speedstepping runs like hell

just read the readme and descriptions of packages during install or there are many guides to install osx86, what else can i say?

Hey Airtek,

yes, I was pretty successful with the Megabook. It's running 10.5.3 at the moment.

The only problem left are some graphic issues. Sometimes the mouse cursers "repeats" and does not disappear. But i hope it will disappear with a new driver.

Suspend and resume does not work (it does not work with all other PCs I've installed OSX86 on...)

Every tenth time the book does not shut down.

That's it. I'll probably sell it in some time. If you're interested :D

Hi Aber , big thanks for your help , but i hope that stop and resume works!!!

omg you spent 5 months to make it work!!

buddy all iATKOS series are made on MSI Megabook s262 intel core duo t2300

gma950 driver works without mouse tearing, sleep works perfect with netkas or mac.nub smbios and speedstepping runs like hell

just read the readme and descriptions of packages during install or there are many guides to install osx86, what else can i say?

uphuck thanks for your informations , do you have some links for help me to install with less problems possible mac osx 10.4/5 on my msi 262?

Big thanks for your help

Bye

Pierpaolo

no need for links, use v4i, it runs nice.

select:

vanilla stuff if you dont want to use speedstepping

mac.nub smbios macbook

gma950

this conf. makes it run nice with sleep support, sleep with speedstepping may be a problem

I use atheros 5006eg wifi instead of cursed intel wifi, o2 firewire not supported. I also installed chun-nan's battery management driver for stock acpi+powermagament.bundle, now battery powermeter runs on vanilla stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

hi

sorry for bringing up this old thread.

I also have a S262 @ T7200 and i got it to run whit iatkos v4i and everithing runs well. The problem who follows me all the time is the CPU. I have to turn off Speedstep in the BIOS or it wont boot. But after this i only have 1GHz instead of 2GHz.

It looks that you guys dont have problems whit that. Would it be possible to tell me how you got it to run?

Im really happy whit the release and Notebook. i only want it to be as fast as before ^.^;

Thanks

flash-dsl

EDIT: Problem solved. I updated my BIOS and now it works all fine. Only Firewire and Wlan makes me still sad but its much better like this.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have an MSI S262 running iDeneb10.5.5v1.3, I've also ran some previous versions. The problem I have is - on all of them I cannot make the sound work. I've tried all the patches from Taruga - didn't help. Can somebody help me?

PS. It's ALC883