waiting for root device

Lord Norr

29 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony IDE DVD RW and A WD 160GB SATA HDD, on intel DG33 Mother Board with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU

I also have the same problem. and Stuck at "Waiting for root device" .

Please PM me if anyone found a solution so that I can also try it on my PC

i think new intel chipsets got some probs with leopard. leopard cant detect the sata/ide drives or doesnt load kexts for ide with intel 965 ry and dg33fb. i am currently using gigabyte ga-945gcmx board and it works like a charm. then i bought 4 gb ram to support ram i bought intel 965 ry and i got waiting for root device and durng install i found that leopard loaded appleviaatadriver which isnt logical since its intel original chipset not cheap via chipset. then i exchanged 965 board with intel dg33fb and same prob. u can try taking dev ids of sata/ide drives and making kexts and putting in install dvd and try though i tried with dg33fb and it dint work.

I used iATKOS.r3 for my install. I did get the still waiting for root device.

What I had to do was to connect BOTH an IDE DVD and an IDE HDD. I booted the install disk from the IDE DVD and installed just fine. I installed to my SATA HDD. I did not have to install to the IDE drive. I only had to have both devices connected. After install I shut down and removed the IDE devices and booted to the SATA HDD just fine.

There is a minor issue of the SATA DVD seeming to "fall asleep" after mounting an image (but I'll figure that out by reading through the forum).

By having BOTH IDE devices connected, I only had to boot the install disk with -v. I did not have to disable any cores or boot to safe or single user mode. -v was it just to track errors (which there were none with both IDE's connected)

I am running 10.5.2 with both cores active and SATA's with full read/write.

Maybe this will help you.