Cannot get it to boot

xxNIRVANAxx

7 posts in this topic

My hard drive is partitioned like so:

Partition1 : Windows XP : 25GB {Primary, Active} | Partition 2: Random Files I'd like to keep incase I {censored} up my windows install: 30GB {Primary} | Partition 3: Mac OS X 10.5.1 Kalyway install {Primary} | Partition 4: Toshiba {censored}: 251MB {primary, hidden}

Now, when I install OS X, I get no errors, though it makes OS X my active partition, and fails to boot into it after I install (give me a black screen with a blinking _). I have to put in a recovery CD and restore the Windows MBR to get back into windows. Now, when I get back, I go to boot.ini and add the chain0 line for Mac OS X, but it does not work. Hope someone can help me solve my problem.

Here is my boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"

My chain0 file is actually in C:, it is 1KB, and I got it from the Kalyway CD

Here is what my drive looks like, partition-wise:

http://i32.tinypic.com/307qlnm.png

I'd like to make this install work using Windows boot loader, or using GRUB (which I am a bit better at using, but I don't know if there are windows binaries, though I'm willing to install a minimal /boot partition to make this work)

Same problem here, after i played with my geforce.kext, nvdaresma.kext and nvhal40.kext(or something like that), i cant boot into leopard anymore... First time i boot up i get the blinking "_" and when i restart the machines keeps rebooting over and over.. Please help! ;)

I had this problem when I first installed leopard, I used gparted live to flag my boot partition, my problem was, i went to see if it was flagged and I left it at that, when i reboot i only got the flashing cursor... turns out you need to uncheck then recheck the boot flat... then leopard loaded right up..

I had this problem before many times.... and I discover SADLY that the only way the Leopard instalation worked fine was instaling it in a hard drive with just ONE partition.

Can anyone tell me what´s wrong ??? please... I mean ... I have to reinstall my leopard but I have my disk partitioned with 3 partitions. As they contein data that I can´t just move or erase it´s imposible for me to erase the whole disk to have just one partition and then have a successful Leopard instalation.

Thanks in advance.

Xeikon

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any way to make GRUB boot XP and OS X?

Yes, but you have to install it to a grub readable partition (not including NTFS or HFS+)

You could wipe your Toshiba partition, reformat it ext3, and install grub with the files on that partition using a Linux liveCD.