How difficult is it to build a hackintosh ?

12 posts in this topic

Hi

I have to build a new pc, and since I am quite interested in mac OS I am getting more and more interested in building a dualboot machine with winXP and macOS.

BUT I do find it difficult to get a overview over the whole process. It seems its quite technical with a lot of work under the hood.

Now, I would consider myself a quite experienced user, I did build my last few pc's and have IT flair, BUT i havent got coding experience and so on. So if someone could help me with a bit of advice to how complicated the process is ???

I would by the components from the recomended list offcourse so I have a good opportunity to minimize the issues.

So if you could give me some ideas to which hardware would be a good idea i would be very gratefull. It has to be gamer complient hardware but not the most hardcore out there :0)

Best wishes

Jagged

No coding is required. Make sure you use a current Intel CPU, preferrably a P35 mobo, and SATA hard drives and dvd burner.

Installation is just a few mouse clicks.

ahh ok, BUT i have seen so many things on the hardware list about stuff not working, exotic patches and so on. You make it sound very easy :0). Hope you are right.

Do you have any recomendations to wich motherboard or is it just about picking a working one on the hardware list.

Best wishes

Jagged

No, it doesn't. But the Gigabyte P35-DS3R or Abit IP35 Pro have firewire and also work. I'd also like to add my opinion that it's really not that hard to get Mac OS X working perfectly on your PC. Go for it!

OK thats interesting, and that remark pushed me over the cliff, i will try it out :0)

Thanks for the advice

Best wishes

Jagged

Gigabyte P35-DS3R doesn't have firewire (in Back Panel Connectors), but P35-DS3P have!
My Bad!
Installation is usualy easy, but sometimes the instructions for patching video cards and such are pretty confusing.
Yes, it certainly can be, but then if you have the right card, and your hacked OS X dvd comes with drivers, it just works!

I have the DS3P, not sure about S/PDIF. Pretty much any disk can be used with this DS3P, I have had success with several Tiger discs, Kalyway, Uphuck, JaS. I tried iATKOS for Leopard, and thats a no go on this board at least. It goes to the Press any key to install message and it just keeps looping. BrazilMac and ToH are confirmed working I'm pretty sure. I'm going to try Kalyway 10.5.1 on this soon....