Building new system, Recommendations?

akwizeguy

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

It's finally time to upgrade from a s939 system. I was hoping for some recommendations on some hardware before i purchase. I was hoping to run 10.5.1 on a separate HDD, and XP on the other.

2 prospective builds:

Intel E8400 Wolfdale

Asus P5K-E Wifi (Intel p35 chipset)

Any sort of RAM (any thoughts?)

BFG 8800GT OC 512mb

Seagate 250 GB IDE HDD

Western Digital 400GB SATA HDD

I was also considering a SLI mobo to run 2x8800 GT

Intel E8400 Wolfdale

Asus P5N32-E SLI (nforce 680i chipset)

BFG 8800GT OC 512mb

Same HDD

Also, Does SLI work well in 10.5.1?

I was planning to do some overclocking, will this run stable in 10.5.1?

Which setup is the easiest to install and run Leopard 10.5.1/2 with wifi/lan, sound etc.?

What do you guys think of my proposed components? Any other recommendations you guys could make would be wonderful, thank so much in advance.

I may be a little biased here, but I love my d975xbx2 Bad axe 2 board. it'll use all those other components you've listed, you'd just need to buy a wireless card. It's straightforward and relatively simple to setup. Just my opinion :)

I've been a proponent of the BA2 for quite a long time now, although I know they are getting more difficult to find and are a bit out of tune with the newest processor chips on the market. I've got 3 BA2's set up now and would sure like to know how you managed to get mic in working on yours. That's been the only negative we've found with this board over the last 1+ years we've been discussing it on this forum. No one, including Taruga, has come up with a workable solution yet. I use USB for sound, so it's not a worry, but a working mic in would make this board perfect.

BTW, 10.5.2 is working just fine on my systems, including the graphics update.