iMac G5 2nd Generation Hard Drive

phatum

14 posts in this topic

i have a 20" iMac G5, but hard drive is know dead, it just keep clicking and clicking, aftear a while a ? symbol is shown that's what makes me think the hard drive has past away, so i'm planning to buy another one, but i was wonder if this one will fit in to my Mac: SEAGATE 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA II (ST3250826AS)

btw i live in Mexico so it is not so easy to buy some HD at MacStore

thanks in advance

Not to alarm anyone, just a word of caution!

I read somewhere that only 5400rpm drive can be used because of the heat generation!? It might be safer to check it out, you dont have to buy one from Apple but you can ask them if they will stick in a faster drive for you and hear what they say!

this is a quote i found on the web:"Macworld's article on iMac upgrades advises against 7200rpm drives due to heat"

Not to alarm anyone, just a word of caution!

I read somewhere that only 5400rpm drive can be used because of the heat generation!? It might be safer to check it out, you dont have to buy one from Apple but you can ask them if they will stick in a faster drive for you and hear what they say!

this is a quote i found on the web:"Macworld's article on iMac upgrades advises against 7200rpm drives due to heat"

thanks for the advise, but my iMac used to have a 7200 rpm drive. it was a seagate barracuda 7200rpm

i dont think it would be a problem...

thanks to all who try to help me, finally i have my iMac fully working with its new hard drive...

now i have a question, i've inserted a second 256Mb DDR, now it is working with 512 in Ram, wil it be capabale to run leopard???