Nvidia 8800gtx video playback

Diceman

3 posts in this topic

I've just installed the Kalyway 10.5.1 install with the vanilla kernel and nvinject selected in the custom install options. I followed netkas update instructions and updated to 10.5.2 and installed the graphics update from software updates. I then ran the latest nvinstaller v.33. My 8800gtx is correctly detected and seems to have CI hardware acceleration and QE support listed in system properties, also opengl works and correct amount of vram is shown in system properties. My system contains a maxiumus extreme formula and qx9650. Everything seems to work well except for some irritating video issues which I'd like some help with.

Whenever I'm playing video in either quicktime or vlc and I move the video window the video stops playing until I stop moving the window. Video also stops if a finder window is moved and a video is playing. However when a firefox window is moved around the screen the video continues although the firefox window redraw appears to be choppy. In all cases the sound continues interrupted. There are no video interruptions when resizing windows, either the video or finder windows.

Is this a common problem relating to the lack of real geforce 8800gtx driver support and something that others with 8800gtx's experience or is this something that can be fixed with configuration? I've searched the forum extensively for topics relating to this and have found nothing, so I'm inclined to believe it's either a problem with my system or it's a known issue that no-one is talking about.

I'd appreciate any help because aside from this severely irritating bug 10.5.2 is flawless.

• 6 months later...

I have a similar problem with a Geforce 8800gts 320 mb model.

Everything seems to run smoothly except high deffinition video, where the sound tends to skip and stagger

Here are my specs:

processor intel pentium D 2.80 mhz

mobo: intel d945gnt

audio: External onyx satelite fire wire interface

video BFG 8800gts 320 mb

ram kingston ddr2 2 gigabytes

Hope somebody could shed some light around this issue!

• 1 year later...

A possible solution:

I too had this problem and I have tried *anything and everything*. Searched the forums and web for two damn months. Just like you, I have everything set up correctly. Kexts, system recognizes my 9800GTX+ with the right amount of RAM (512MB), etc.

I had choppy video when I moved a finder window, I had an annoying constant little lag while moving my mouse (and yes, I did the mouse lag fix that helped), my Dock magnification animation slowed down considerably when I played video and it also slowed down when I dragged an icon (that becomes semi transparent) onto the dock.

This issue was driving me nuts.

Today I noticed something funny. I opened system profiler for the billionth time to take a look at the graphics card info. Then I noticed that the display was connected to the secondary DVI port. I disconnected the screen and attached it to the other DVI port I have on the 9800GTX+ and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

The F*CKER works like a charm!!! NO MORE VIDEO SLOW DOWNS, DOCK ANIMATION IS SCREAMING FAST, I CAN DRAG THE FINDER WHILE A VIDEO IS PLAYING (EVEN 3 HD VIDEOS IN PARALLEL IN QUICKTIME). VLC works great too!

No more mouse lags, no more slowdowns, no more choppy videos. Works perfectly!

CAN YOU F*CKEN BELIEVE IT?!?!? The damn monitor was connected to the SECONDARY DVI port and when I connected it to the PRIMARY DVI port (it's just the other DVI port), everything just worked as it should!!! UNBELIEVABLE. HILARIOUS!!! :P

Of course, I restarted and also shut down + restart just to make sure it was not a temp solution.

I remembered your post and that no one answered it so I decided to share. :)

I hope it will help - even though it's the dumbest solution in the history of this forum.

Please update if it does...

My Spec:

-----------

Mac OS X 10.5.7 (iDeneb)

Vanilla Kernel 9.7.0

Chameleon 2 RC2 bootloader

Quad Core Q6600 CPU

GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB VRAM

Intel Dragontail Motherboard (model: DP35DP)

8GB DDR2 RAM

320GB 7200rpm HD

Onboard LAN and Sound

20inch lcd display running at 1680 x 1050

*NO* NVInjector or any other injectors...