Guide+Upgrade BadAxe2 Kalyway fixing 10.5.2 F#*& up

carbonite19

7 posts in this topic

Edit 2008/02/14 - Added finding Disk Id steps

Hi All,

I am writing this guide after messing up my Kalyway install doing the software update to 10.5.2 and for the Noobs that want clear directions.

Requirements:

-You used Time Machine to backup... otherwise you out of luck.

-You tried to install 10.5.2 via software updates

-You have a BadAxe2 motherboard (D975XBX2-KR)

-Kalyway DVD

-PC_EFI_v8 on a USB key (Mine is called bootloader).

Steps

1. Boot from the Kalyway DVD

2. From the menu Select Restore from Time Machine backup. Select the drive you want to restore and the one you want to restore from.

3. Select a backup that you know worked (10.5.1 obviously)

4. After the backup has been restored you will be asked to reboot. Do so but your system will still not boot. (Don't worry) Your EFI partition is no longer mapped...

5. Boot from the Kalyway DVD again. Check in disk utility your disk id.

6. From the menu select Disk Utility to check your disk id.

7. From the menu select terminal and type these commands.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (X in my diskXsY disk ID was 0) [enter]
update [enter]
f 2 [enter]
w [enter]
(type 'Y' to reboot when queried) [enter]
q [enter]
reboot

8. You should get .plist not found error when your system reboots. (Still not a problem)

9. Boot from the Kalyway DVD again.

10. From the menu select Disk Utility to check your disk id.

11. From the menu select terminal and install PC_EFI_v8 with these commands.

diskutil unmountDisk disk0 (the disk ID in my case) [enter]
cd /Volumes/bootloader/pc_efi_8 [enter] (the name of my volume is bootloader)
./startuptool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8[enter]
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1 [enter]
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1 [enter]

12.Reboot and welcome back to your 10.5.1 System (with all your apps installed and your data)

(This part is thanks to Netkas)

13.Now download the 10.5.2 combo update from the apple site a MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg file

14.Open Finder and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/

15.Open Terminal

16.Type

sudo -s

in Terminal

<password> [enter]

17.Copy paste this in to Terminal

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done  [enter]

18.Open the .dmg file and install

19.When the install finishes DO NOT click REBOOT!

20.Go back to your Finder window and make sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not there.

21.Go back to the Terminal and do Ctrl + c

22.Type this in Teminal

open -a TextEdit [enter]

23.In TextEdit Open the file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

24.Modify the line

/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

to

/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

25. Save the file.

26. Now Click the Reboot button on the 10.5.2 Combo Update Dialog.

27. After your system reboots install all the Software Updates (if you can)

After I did this Sound and Networking were no longer working. (Not a prob)

28.Go to TimeMachine and go to the /System/Libary/Extentions/ to the Date of your last post 10.5.2 backup and restore IONetworkingFamily.kext (it will say you need Admin rights to do it and ask for your password.)

29.Reboot. (Now networking should work again)

30.Reinstall audio with AppleHDA see AppleHDA post with attached STAC9274D_83847621.txt (I used AppleHDAPatcher 1.16)

Voila, system updated. Happy Hackintoshing. (Thanks go to BJMoose, Weaksauce12, Netkas for some of the included info)

STAC9274D_83847621.txt

I just want to point out that if you take a look in Console and notice this error popping up...

<code>com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the  number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or  directory</code>

Here how to fix it.

Open terminal and type

sudo -s [enter]
<password>  [enter]
mkdir <code>/var/spool/postfix [enter]
postfix stop [enter]
postfix start [enter]</code>

THis will rebuild all the postfix directories. The issue is that Time Machine doesn't actually do a full backup. See link.

Here a brief of the article...

Time Machine Exclusion

from /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Resources/StdExclusions.plist

Here's the full list of the excluded paths:

Contents Excluded

The contents of these paths are excluded, but the directories themselves are preserved as they are required for a successful restore.

/Volumes

/Network

/automount

/.vol

/tmp

/cores

/private/tmp

/private/Network

/private/tftpboot

/private/var/automount

/private/var/log

/private/var/folders

/private/var/log/apache2

/private/var/log/cups

/private/var/log/fax

/private/var/log/ppp

/private/var/log/sa

/private/var/log/samba

/private/var/log/uucp

/private/var/run

/private/var/spool

/private/var/tmp

/private/var/vm

/private/var/db/dhcpclient

/private/var/db/fseventsd

/Library/Caches

/Library/Logs

/System/Library/Caches

/System/Library/Extensions/Caches

Paths Excluded

These directories and their contents are excluded completely.

/.Spotlight-V100

/.Trashes

/.fseventsd

/.hotfiles.btree

/Backups.backupdb

/Desktop DB

/Desktop DF

/Network/Servers

/Previous Systems

/Users/Shared/SC Info

/Users/Guest

/dev

/home

/net

/private/var/db/Spotlight

/private/var/db/Spotlight-V100

User Paths Excluded

These directories are and their contents are excluded per-user. The path is relative to the user's home folder.

Library/Application Support/MobileSync

Library/Application Support/SyncServices

Library/Caches

Library/Logs

Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Library/Mail/AvailableFeeds

Library/Mirrors

Library/PubSub/Database

Library/PubSub/Downloads

Library/PubSub/Feeds

Library/Safari/Icons.db

Library/Safari/HistoryIndex.sk

Using Kalyway 10.5.1, is this a standard "safe" way to upgrade to 10.5.2?

I'm running it on a P5WDH Deluxe?

Of course, from your guide I'll use from the number "13.-" and on..., Right?

Because I was able to run all the other updates, but, I didn't want to go for the MacOXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg just yet until I saw your guide...

Please advise!

Sorry for my ignorance, but, what do I do?????

In your guide when typing

open -a TextEdit [enter]

An TextEdit new window pop open but it's empty... :P

I tryed opening the file or folder "/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

With no luck, now what?

How do I get to edit this lines??

How do I change it? this is the message "The document “1” could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges."

Please advise

Anyone?

Sorry for my ignorance, but, what do I do?????

In your guide when typing

CODEopen -a TextEdit [enter]

An TextEdit new window pop open but it's empty... :)

I tryed opening the file or folder "/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

With no luck, now what?

How do I get to edit this lines??

How do I change it? this is the message "The document “1” could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges."

Please advise

Anyone?

You need to sudo -s in terminal so that when textedit open you will have the right to modify the file.

Using Kalyway 10.5.1, is this a standard "safe" way to upgrade to 10.5.2?

Yes, I would say it is, if you are running a D975XBX-KR.

I'm running it on a P5WDH Deluxe?

Check a guide that might be more specific for your board (some steps here might not apply to your board)

Of course, from your guide I'll use from the number "13.-" and on..., Right?

Yes, you would start at 13.

• 2 months later...
You need to sudo -s in terminal so that when textedit open you will have the right to modify the file.

I'm the kind of person that is out of luck like you said in the Requirements #1, so I basically went through all other way to restore my system back.

I try your guide few minutes ago, and find that there are some additional info I need to add.

Here are the problems and solutions:

1. The Textedit can't open nor even view the contents(file/open... nor Apple+Shift+G) inside the folder (/System/InstallAtStartup/). I did opened up from terminal and have the right(password) entered. I guess maybe Apple notice that people doing that and somehow changed the update file, so you can't even browse it.
  2. After update completed, PS/2 Keyboard and mouse quit working. (Only USB kind will work)
  3. The info in About this Mac is incorrect. Like the Picture bellow.

Picture1.jpg

Here's how I fix it:

1. Use finder and go to the folder "/System/". Inside, you'll see the folder called "InstallAtStartup" with a "Stop Sign" on the lower part of the icon. You may try changing the permissions of its Info, but my way is much easier. Drag that folder to your desktop (You'll see it automatically show a plus sign). So you just make a duplicate of that entire folder on your desktop. Edit the file "/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1
    " from your desktop.(or you can even use finder click into it and open up from there, since the permission thing is not a issue anymore). After you done changing the line("Guide for Newbee": Use Apple+F to replace "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" to "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"). It will ask you several question when you quit the textedit. Such as... Save=yes, Authenticate=yes, Password=Enter your, Overwrite=Yes. Ok let's go back to your finder, and delete the original folder "/InstallAtStartup/" in your "/System/" (have to delete it first, can't overwrite). It'll ask you to Authenticate and enter you password. Then drag the folder "/InstallAtStartup/" from your destop to "/System/". Done. goReboot.
  2. After you done updating, go back your backup. Put the following file back to place, and this will fix the problem #2 & #3 at the same time. There are: "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" and "AppleSMBIOS.kext". (I didn't use time Machine, I back the whole thing in a dmg instead. So I just mount the dmg and drag those two file into the icon of my "Kext Helper b7" Enter password and EasyInstall) If you didn't back it up earlier Here is the link for you to download somebody else's. AppleACPIPlatform.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext and I don't have any problem with my Lan so I leave my IONetworkin.. along.
  3. And continue do as carbonite19 says for Audio.

I also tryied Overwrite the system by installing "Leo4All-10.5.2 Universal AMD/INTEL...". It works too. Just that you need to do the samething from Solution #2. And create another user before you do that and for you to replace later on.

Also, if you find that the default boot in Verbose mode is not pretty? Use "BBEdit" in the applications (Come with Leo4All), to edit the file called "com.apple.Boot.plist" like the pic bellow.

Picture2.jpg

Tried "KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2", no luck! I descripted detail of the problem in My previous post.

One other thing, If you are out of luck like me, too.

Try to use "Migration Assistant" to restore all your software and data from your dmg Backup. (Only when you do the clean install like me, or you don't need to. It works fine in 3rd party software like Adobe and so. But not for the App from Apple such as FCP)

Ok, Here comes to my question......

About the Console things, I'm not quite understand.

You typed.

postfix stop [enter]

1. And where is that <code> came from? How do I type? Like this?
    sudo -s [enter]
    <password>  [enter]
    mkdir com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the  number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or  directory /var/spool/postfix [enter]
    postfix stop [enter]
    postfix start [enter]

I know this must sounds like a dump question. But I just like to find out what's going on, since I'm also a BadAxe2 user, and may have the very same problem like you.

2. Or from /var/spool/..... until postfix start [enter] was wrap inside the <code> </code>. So I think #1 probably not how I should do, right? And what do I do then?
  3. Is the code above only fix the problem of the mislinked file "maildrop" only or everything within the postfix folder?
  4. And the code I got when I install Maya. I'll get something like ..."com.apple.launchd[455]". and something else like "[0x0-0x30030].com.apple.installer[980]". Is it the same problem that caused by the mislinked file? If that is the case do which code do I enter? and what is [numbers] means. Do I fix the numbers of problem by once? or just have to do it from [1] ~ [whatever number]. To make my system problem-less?

Thanks ahead.

Great works you guys!

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, Here comes to my question......

About the Console things, I'm not quite understand.

You typed.

postfix stop [enter]

My bad...

Disregard the code tags...

should be this

mkdir /var/spool/postfix [enter]
postfix stop [enter]
postfix start [enter]

I also noticed apache fails so you also have to create the missing directories for it too. If you want to run apache locally with MAMP or the like.