Success ! Leopard on an Acer Ferrari using external USB HDD

creativeP_asd

5 posts in this topic

I finally got leopard working on my Ferrari 4000.

[edit: for some reason the leopard dvd boots just fine on my laptop, others are not so lucky.

i have a solution for them also, i have confirmed that u can install leopard using a external dvd rom/writer also, just boot from the external dvd rom/writer in step 5 instead of the internal writer.]

for those people out there who are having problems here are the instructions.

u will need a usb keyboard and mouse for the installation

1. get leopard amd sse2 sse3 (32bits) iso from the bay.

2. burn it to a dvd at 2x( higher speed gave me some problems)

3. u need to create a Primary partition, on the external hdd, say around 20gb should do fine

4. connect the usb hdd , keyboard and mouse

5. boot from the dvd , once the setup loads go to utility-> disk utility and then format the primary partition u created on the external hdd as mac os journaled

6. install natively. let the laptop reboot

7. for booting with xp you will require chain0 , copy chain0 to C drive ,add the line chain0= "Mac OS X" in the boot.ini file . For vista you have to download easybcd i. in easy bcd u can add a entry as MAC OSX from add entries.

8.now after you have edited the boot menu, reboot the laptop and select Mac OS X and then complete the setup using the external keyboard and mouse.

9. now to get the laptop keyboard and mouse working i have attached the files , appleps2controller and appleiousbfamily zips, extract these and place them in the extensions folder , set the attribs for the files.

10. for the lan use appleBCM5751ethernet.kext zip attached extract it and drop it in extensions folder and set the attribs.

11. for enabling QE and CI go to this page http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5653&st=180. Results are not very gud but it beets having nothing. hey and the device id for card is 5653

13. repair permissions and reboot u should have a fully working natively running leopard.

sound , wireless work out of the box

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

creativeP_asd

that's great news! i emailed you back in september about installing osx (10.4.8) on a ferrari 4005. I had a few questions for you.

1. i am wondering is the leopard experience better than the tiger experience?

2. did you try installing leopard on the laptop's hard drive first before you installed to external hard drive?

3. how long did it take you to install leopard on the ferrari?

4. since i am a extreme beginner in the osx86 world - can you give me a simple tutorial (preferably step by step) than explains to users how to install osx86 on a ferrari? i would like to install natively on hard drive and in dual boot mode (xp and osx).

i hope you can simplify the steps as best as possible and assume nothing. screen shots would be awesome. by the way i'm in western canada (vancouver).

thanks

tut126

creativeP_asd

that's great news! i emailed you back in september about installing osx (10.4.8) on a ferrari 4005. I had a few questions for you.

1. i am wondering is the leopard experience better than the tiger experience?

2. did you try installing leopard on the laptop's hard drive first before you installed to external hard drive?

3. how long did it take you to install leopard on the ferrari?

4. since i am a extreme beginner in the osx86 world - can you give me a simple tutorial (preferably step by step) than explains to users how to install osx86 on a ferrari? i would like to install natively on hard drive and in dual boot mode (xp and osx).

i hope you can simplify the steps as best as possible and assume nothing. screen shots would be awesome. by the way i'm in western canada (vancouver).

thanks

tut126

1. leopard has more requirements than tiger, and yes the experience is better if u have a fully supported dekstop/laptop, other wise tiger runs better.

2. No i did not try installing to the hard drive first coz i already have xp and vista loaded, so i did not have enough free space to create a new partiton.

3. it took me around an hour for the base installation, and around another hour to get everything working.

4.i had installed leopard natively only, for dual booting on your laptop internal drive look for "dual booting with acronis" in the forum, this should work fine.

5. as for the screenshots, i am sorry, i was just installaing leopard to see if it works or not, so i did not take any screenshots.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks for the post = been trying to get Leo on my Ferrari 4005 for ages.

I have installed the kexts and yes the keyboard and glide pad work flawlessly, but the usb stopped working so i guess its reinstall without the IOUSB file now. :D

I also have no sound and no dvd drive in Leo, Did you find the same?? if so what kexts did you use to recover them?

Anyway Just wanted to say thanks!!

Steve :P