New to leopard

roli

4 posts in this topic

I am new user of mac an leopard. And I have many stupid questions.

1.) How can I make VLC media player default application for opening .avi files? I know how to make it default for opening just one file but not for all files.

2.) Can I increase font size system wide? I want to increase font size for all applications.

3.) How can I maximize window? That green button does not work like that.

1.) Right click on an AVI and select "get info", or click on it and press command+i. In the panel is a field call "open with, where you select VLC, and then you can select "always open with'.

2.) No, not really.

3.) It doesn't do the same thing as windows, a different philosophy...It's supposed to resize the window to fit the contents...what can I say? There was a hack for it for Tiger, but it doesn't work in Leopard (stoplight)

One more thing...If you download a program called "Perian", you can play pretty much any format in Quicktime Player. XVid, DivX, AVI etc etc. It works beautifully, so I can really recommend that!

Cheers, and happy OS X'ing

2) you can effectively increase font-size system-wide by dropping the screen-resolution of your monitor, at the expense of work-space..

Yes, Perian rocks. You can get it at http://www.perian.org

The other essential codec package is the bundle of Free Windows Media Components for Quicktime.

The direct download is at Microsoft's website if you CLICK HERE.