Possible to move Leo install running on external hd to internal hd?

BrumBrum74

5 posts in this topic

I'm running Leo 10.5.2 on my HP DV9060EA laptop from an external usb drive. I want to just move everything to the internal drive of my laptop. Can I use SuperDuper program to clone external drive and move it to my internal drive on the laptop?

Saw this tutorial:

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/09/7664/

Can I just use that program and format my internal hd and then clone everyting over to internal hd and it'll be bootable and ready to go?

this depends on many things like what installation methos was used, where is the efi, what about the partition scheme... tell us a little more details, but i guess that you´re running better with a new install.

Sorry about that.

HP DV9060EA Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500

1GB DDR2 667

1 - 80GB HD with Vista

1 - 80GB HD with Backups

nVidia GeforceGo 7600 512MB

Dell 1490 Wireless Card

Running 10.5.2 from external USB 2.0 harddrive (Don't remember the HD size, but think it's 160gb).

Vanilla kernel and MBR. Just did a clean install of Leopard yesterday.

Any more info needed that I forgot?

No reason it shouldn't work. I moved a Tiger install from an internal to an external (to make room for Leopard :) ). I just used diskutil to make an image then restored it to a different partition. Had to mess around with the bootloader a bit, bit it wasn't too bad.

Like smorf suggested, a new install wouldn't be terrible. You can import your settings and files from the old install. Of course that won't import system files you might have changed since installing, and I don't know if it gets all your apps.

Really I see nothing wrong with just copying it over. Just be prepared to understand your bootloader. Which one do you use to choose your OS on startup?

I just want to remove Vista and only have Leopard on my laptop. Might install Vista later.

What is the best way to do this? How should I format my internal driv so that I can make it available for OSX to make i mbr? After that it's just to use SuperDuper to backup everything over to internal drive?