Dell Optiplex GX280, KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 installation problems

Bigsped

6 posts in this topic

:( Hey guys,

I'm trying to install KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with the following specs

Pentium 4 2.80 GHz

1GB of RAM

onboard Intel GMA900

onboard ethernet controller

onboard audio

My first try: I used disk utility to partition the disk and installed the vanilla kernel, installation fails with two minutes remaining

Second try: did the same only the installation completed and rebooted fine the first time, ethernet, video, and audio all worked perfectly....untill I rebooted for the second time. after that on boot-up i just got a black screen with "b0 error" in the top left

Third try: I did the same as the first and second try. only this time the installation completed and it rebooted, but instead of "b0 error" i got a black screen with "Darwin x86 loading" like it was going to load but then it stops and four lines of text come across the screen too fast for me to read and then reboots.

I can't think of any solutions, I've been searching for hours with no progress at all.

the only thing I can think of is that I have hyperthreading enabled in the bios. Would turning hyperthreading off help?

every word of advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

now I can't get past the 2 minute mark in the installation, i've tried multiple times.

IIRC vanilla kernel works only with dual core.

try just using the default install without pressing F8 and typing vanilla while installing.

Btw you are lucky. atleast you were able to install KALYWAY LEOPARD on your system. My install fails at 99% :D and so i had to downgraded to JaS10.4.8 Tiger OS (not that its bad, its just not leopard)

• 2 months later...

I have a similar rig like you. I tried kalyway 10.5.2 and it works perfect.

On the inbuilt ethernet does not work. I changed that for a realtek 3800 series card.

1) Disable ethernet in bios.

2) Put Sata into compatibility mode.

3) Start with this option. -v cpus=1

In kalyway option,

partition with guid or mbr, clean install is best.

Leave the deafult, and choose your graphic card, i think it has gma 950 also i it. Find the cpus flag option and select that. Once again leave all the defaults on, just look for the graphic card option and the cpus flag option.

or else you will have to boot with cpus=1 during boot.

in case blinking cursor.

try

bott into safe mode with -s option.

then type.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

then

flag 1 (1 means which ever partition you want to be bootable)

update

write

quit

reboot

all the best. send me a PM in case anyone needs help.

• 4 months later...

I also have a Dell GX280...

My Mac installer won't load...

I have disabled my Ethernet adapter in the BIOS...

Mine used to freeze when it got to something about my Ethernet card...

After disabling, I went back and tried again... this time it no-longer freezes at the point it was before... BUT IT IS REBOOTING!

I can't exactly tell you what it says before it reboots... because it suddenly shoots up about 4 lines and then the screen goes black... REBOOT!

• 3 months later...

Alright, I am a long way from the last post I made. I have Kalyway 10.5.2 Running on my Dell.

WORKS FANTASTIC! With an exception to the Video.

I believe my Video card is not reconized properly. There was a time where I had Tiger running on my machine with the video fine, but with Leopard, it's all wrong.

There is only one resolution to choose from (1024x768)

It's reported that I have 0 MB of VRAM!

And something called Quartz Extreme is not working Properly.

HELP?

Can someone re-direct me to a place or topic about these video cards, and their compatibility?

Maybe JaS would work better than Kalyway?

• 10 months later...
:P Hey guys,

I'm trying to install KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with the following specs

Pentium 4 2.80 GHz

1GB of RAM

onboard Intel GMA900

onboard ethernet controller

onboard audio

My first try: I used disk utility to partition the disk and installed the vanilla kernel, installation fails with two minutes remaining

Second try: did the same only the installation completed and rebooted fine the first time, ethernet, video, and audio all worked perfectly....untill I rebooted for the second time. after that on boot-up i just got a black screen with "b0 error" in the top left

Third try: I did the same as the first and second try. only this time the installation completed and it rebooted, but instead of "b0 error" i got a black screen with "Darwin x86 loading" like it was going to load but then it stops and four lines of text come across the screen too fast for me to read and then reboots.

I can't think of any solutions, I've been searching for hours with no progress at all.

the only thing I can think of is that I have hyperthreading enabled in the bios. Would turning hyperthreading off help?

every word of advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

now I can't get past the 2 minute mark in the installation, i've tried multiple times.

Hi,

I have a gx280 and the pritty much the same i recomend iatkos 7.0 and choose: Voodo Kernel, SATA IDE, and AC97 audio.

That should work but the resulation is always very low, and ethenet doesn`t work...

fredybob