Another BAD AXE 2 Install Thread-Install from retail thorough guide

Unit

6 posts in this topic

I wrote this guide as a reference, and also for any other noobs who may be having issues with a vanilla install from the Leopard Retail DVD. The information is all there, but often not all in the same place/thread. I am new to this myself, so any feedback (this being my first guide) is appreciated and welcome. Any shortcuts, suggestions, or if I did something wrong/omitted something, please feel free to chime in.

What follows is guide on how I got my Bad Axe 2 working. This is all based on others' work, so I've tried to provide a few references in the links that follow. Many Thanks to Kalyway, BJMoose, i_am...me, zzak, Geeze, for providing threads and information on how to install this thing.

REQUIREMENTS

-a spare hard drive

-working Leopard install (HAcktintosh or real Mac)

-PC EFI v8 files

-retail DVD or .dmg of OS X 10.5

-graphics/video card kext or driver (varies depending on what GFX card you have)

BASICS

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2 KR (Bad Axe 2)

BIOS Version: BIOS Version 2809

Settings in BIOS mainly default. Make sure the "NX enable bit/XD Tech enable" option is set to ENABLED as per Kalyway's instructions in the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD thread.

LINKS (RECOMMENDED READING)

KALYWAY 10.5.1 ON BAD AXE 2

GENERAL KALYWAY 10.5.1 RELEASE THREAD

Studied commands in this post

This post helped in ownership, permission commands

Used this to get GUID and EFI installed correctly, specific to BX2 BOARD

in conjunction with above thread get EFI v8

Use this to get Sound working

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALL HARDWARE (all tested on Windows XP install)

PREPARE HARD DRIVE FOR USE WITH LEOPARD

You need a running/working Leopard install to accomplish this. Attempts to do this from Tiger (10.4.11) did not work.

The following was performed from a FULLY WORKING KALYWAY 10.5.1 install. You can apparently do this from a real Mac running Leopard as well.

From the WORKING LEOPARD MAC

Do the following:

Download EFI from the above link. UNZIP to your desktop. You will get a Folder called "EFI Pack"

It will contain 2 folders. "leopatch" and "pc_efi_v8".

Move "pc_efi_v8" to your desktop.

Now go back inside the "EFI Pack' folder that is still on your desktop. Open "leopatch" folder inside it. There will

be an "ext" folder. Open it. Now look for a file called "dsmos.kext". Move this file to your desktop as well.

Connect the hard drive to your working LEOPARD machine. Either externally through usb/firewire, or internally through SATA. Make sure this hard drive is blank.

Turn the computer on.

Open Disk Utility.

On the left pane, click on the target hard drive (that you intend to install Leopard on) to select it.

Click on the PARTITION tab and select "1 Partition". Type a name for this Partition, don't use spaces. To avoid confusion, make sure this name is different from the working Mac's hard drive that you are using.

Click on the OPTIONS button. Select "GUID Partition Table". Click OK.

Now click APPLY. Wait for the disk utility to apply these settings.

On the left pane, you should now have a Partition under the hard drive named whatever you chose to name it. Click on it.

Then click the INFO button above.

Look for the "Disk Identifier" and make a note of it. For example: disk1s2 (THIS IS IMPORTANT). Close this window.

Click on the UNMOUNT button to unmount the Partition. The Partition will look faded. Close disk utility.

Open the "Terminal" application.

For the following commands, "XXX" refers to your working LEOPARD user account name that you are working from.

Replace "X" and "Y" with your appropriate values obtained from the INFO button in disk utility.

TYPE EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS FOLLOWS: (hit enter after each line)

sudo -s

(you will be prompted for your password. enter it and continue)

cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

AT THIS POINT, OPEN UP DISK UTILITY AND MAKE SURE THAT ALL PARTITIONS ARE UNMOUNTED, CONTINUE IN TERMINAL,

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

AT THIS POINT, THE PARTITION SHOULD APPEAR ON THE FINDER.

PLEASE REBOOT THE COMPUTER AT THIS POINT.

YOU HAVE NOW INSTALLED EFI V8. WITH THIS BOARD (intel bad axe 2),

you will have to install v7, and then v8 again, BUT AT THIS POINT, IT IS TIME TO MAKE THE GUID PARTITON ACTIVE.

AFTER THE COMPUTER BOOTS UP. PROCEED AS FOLLOWS

Open disk utility. Select the Partition of interest (whatever you named it earlier). Click on the info button.

Again, make a note of the "Disk Identifier" ex. disk1s2 (in this example, X=1 and Y=2) You will need this info

for the commands below.

Open "Terminal"

TYPE EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS FOLLOWS: (hit enter after each line)

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

update

f Y

w

q

reboot

THE COMPUTER WILL NOW REBOOT. AT THIS POINT PLEASE FOLLOW THE previous INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL EFI v7.4 (boot_v7_guid_only)

In order to do this, when typing this line "./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8" in terminal, replace (boot_v8) with

(boot_v7_guid_only). So now the line you use will be as follows:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v7_guid_only

REMEMBER TO CHECK THE PARTITION ID IN DISK UTILITY, AND TO UNMOUNT THE PARTITION.

REBOOT AGAIN. INSTALL PC EFI V8 AGAIN (the one installed first) THEN REBOOT AGAIN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU ARE NOW READY TO INSTALL LEOPARD OS X 10.5

Use the .dmg of the retail Leopard DVD in order to do this faster.

Lock the .dmg

Open the Terminal app, and type the following: (hit enter after each line)

sudo -s

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

THE INSTALLER WILL RUN, SELECT YOUR NEWLY PREPARED HARD DRIVE (from previous steps) AND INSTALL.

WAIT TILL INSTALL IS FINISHED.

NOW GO BACK TO THE TERMINAL.

(xxx= then name of the Partition of interest)

(yyy=the name of the Partition of the working Mac that you are operating from )

(zzz=the name of the of User Account of the working Mac that you are operating from )

TYPE THE FOLLOWING:

sudo -s

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx

NAVIGATE TO THE DESKTOP BY TYPING THE FOLLOWING:

cd /Volumes/yyy/Users/zzz/Desktop

NOW CONTINUE

sudo cp -r dsmos.kext /Volumes/xxx/System/Library/Extensions/

cd /Volumes/xxx/System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 dsmos.kext

chown -R root:wheel dsmos.kext

exit

exit

CLOSE THE TERMINAL AND SHUTDOWN. DISCONNECT THE HARD DRIVE, AND ATTACH IT TO THE SATA0

PORT OF YOUR BAD AXE 2 BOARD. USE THE ICH7 (BLACK PORT)

STARTUP YOUR COMPUTER, YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE A BOOTABLE WORKING LEOPARD INSTALL.

UPDATE TO 10.5.1 using Software Update.

I did not repair permissions after the Software Update. Not sure if it is required or not.

You may now add a GFX .kext for your video cra, depending on which card you have installed.

For my build I am using a Sapphire X1950XT. I obtained my driver from the following link:

Link

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...