Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD install on a XPS M170

kaneda3600

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any luck using the Kaylway 10.5.1 DVD on a XPS M170 laptop? If so, can you please share your steps with me? My attempt did not work. I went through the whole install and when it booted off the hard drive for the first time, I get this message in english and in a bunch of other languages that tells me to reboot. When I reboot the same message comes up. I've tried rebooting several times. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I am going to install it on my m170 and have a couple questions:

does you network card work?

what doesn't work? usb? dvd drive?

Is it fast?

Anything you learned during your install I should be aware of?

thanks in advance.

I am going to install it on my m170 and have a couple questions:

does you network card work?

what doesn't work? usb? dvd drive?

Is it fast?

Anything you learned during your install I should be aware of?

thanks in advance.

The onboard ethernet port and the wireless card did not work. I had to disable the onboard ethernet port like i mentioned above. the usb works, the dvd drive works. The video card works on 10.5.2 if you install drivers but you will have this crazy 5 minute black screen load. I suggest staying with version 10.5.1 if you want graphic acceleration. I also replaced the wireless card with one that is known to work... so i did get that to work. and for your last question... its not screaming fast but it's decent and very responsive.

I can't get past a Kernel Panic. What options did you select to get it installed?

So with the kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, make sure you turn off the onboard ethernet port. When the system boots into the mac installer format the drive. Make sure if you label your drive that you dont have any spaces in the name. when customizing your install you must check off SSE2 and then check off the bootloader you formated your drive (MBR or GUID). DONT CHECK ANYTHING ELSE. Once youve done that then go on with the install. You shouldnt have any problems after that. But like I said in a previous post, you cant use the onboard ethernet port and you will have to install a different wireless card if you want internet.

I will give this a try. Thanks!

I forgot to note that by default, when you format your drive, mac names your drive the wrong way... it includes a space in the drive name. This will cause a failure. Name your drive something simple like "leopard" or something with no spaces.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You can get the onboard wifi card to work with the m170.

I have an m170 with iAtkos v2.0i installed with Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update.

After the update I installed the iwi2200 driver and my onboard wifi was recognized as an airport card.

The only thing Im missing is getting my nvidia 6800 go ultra to use any resolution other than 1024x768.

Can you share your steps to get the graphics to work with other resolutions?