ATI HD3870 X2 in Mac Pro

Mac Guguen

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, ive been doing some researches on the GPU of the Mac Pro, and was wondering if we can put ATI HD3870X2 to work in OSX conditions and will it work without the need of switching cards back and forth??

Realized that the Display card i put forth requires the main GPU slot on the Mac Pro and has the similar power consumtion to the Nvidia Quadro 5600FX

So is it possible to put it to work??

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking it should work but ive read up on the card but opted to get an 8800 gt

Im wondering how do you change between sli and regular because from what ive read

it runs 1 gpu in regular mode but you can put it to 2 gpu mode(sli) through ati controls are something

1 gpu should work but idk if osx supports sli or you can actually have a program to activate sli

srry dont know much about the card looks like you might be stuck with 1 gpu until new drivers come out

those card are pretty new wish i could afford it =(

I have a Radeon HD3870 X2 that I made an EFI string for and it works for the framebuffer. I had to use gfxutil to give me the location of the card in the ioregistry since it has an additional pci-to-pci bridge chip on it that adds another level in the location string. Once I did this, I get full resolution, rotation, etc. but if I try to add the device ID to ATIRadeonX2000.kext, it freezes up at the gui load. I believe this is more a problem with the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and not the framebuffer that is causing the issue. BTW, I’m using 10.5.2 with gfx update and the latest triakis on irc.