Darwin removed GRUB :( How to retrieve GRUB back?

cyber_tods

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was hoping I could make a triple boot, single SATA hdd system, but I always fail :rolleyes:

First of all, I started from scratch. DId is how I did it:

I followed this Triple boot guide:

http://cybernet1.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-...s-mac-os-x.html

I'm using only 1 hard drive, partitioned using gparted live cd. (1) 45gb = NTFS for vista (1) 25gb = ext3 for ubuntu (1) 9GB = FAT32 for Leopard (later changed to hfs+) (1) 512mb swap-linux

I installed Vista first then installed Ubuntu 7.10. The way I look at it, after installing Ubuntu, GRUB took over. I can successfully boot in both OS (Vista and Ubuntu) without problems. Now I move further and install Leopard (Kalyway).

After successfully booting up and installing Leopard .. I rebooted, this time I didn't see GRUB anymore. Darwin took over :( Now, I can only boot to Leopard (which successfully boots BTW).

How can I bring back GRUB so I can edit the menulst and make it a successful triple booting system?

Can anyone please give me a step-by-step instructions on how to do this or direct me to a link?

I'm noob at Linux and OSX, sorry about that.

THanks for your help :D

In SUSE, you boot your install DVD and pick repair installed system.

Your ubuntu probably has a similiar option.

Reinstalling grub manually is not too difficult -- Google "grub manual" and read how -- but maybe not for Linux noobs.

If nothing else, you can just reinstall Linux over itself and restore grub that way. But you will have to add your OS X entry manually. If you don't reformat you shouldn't loose data. Just be sure you install to the same partition you used before.

EDIT:

here is the ubuntu link for restoring grub

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html

I still like SUSE better.