Would OSx86 install w/ no probs in this machine?

Bosox3

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought this computer to play around with Ubuntu...but after running into problem after problem installing drivers ect...I decided to give OSx86 a shot since Im already a mac user.

Heres the link to the computer:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...DE=WEBLET03SHIP

also if does work..is it better to dual boot w/ xp...or just run it as is.

The "problem" with that computer, and what you encountered with Linux, is that is too new, a lot of the thing is not supported (yet).

How about you make a comprehensive device list, as you will have to anyway, to install an OS, and post it here, so someone can steer you in the right direction? (device manufacturer and model number)

I pulled (rescued?) a Acer Veriton 7200 from a dumpster, with the addition of a supported video card, a DVD burner, and a hardrive I ended up with a computer that does this nicely. http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/html/v7200_specs.html

I did some searching and found this info my my computer.

Manufacturer: - HP Compaq Business Part number - RZ537AA#ABA

Processor

Type - Intel Celeron D 360 / 3.46 GHz Installed Qty - 1 Max processors supported - 1 Processor main features - Intel Execute Disable Bit, Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology

Cache Memory

Type - L2 cache Installed Size - 512 KB Cache Per Processor - 512 KB

Mainboard

Chipset type - Intel 945GC Express Data bus speed - 533 MHz

RAM

Installed Size - 512 MB / 2 GB (max) Technology - DDR II SDRAM Memory specification compliance - PC2-4200 RAM form factor - DIMM 240-pin

Storage Controller

Type - 1 x Serial ATA - Integrated

Storage Controller (2nd)

Type -1 x IDE - Integrated

Storage

Floppy drive type - None Hard Drive - 1 x 160 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm

Optical Storage

Type - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - IDE CD / DVD read speed - 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD) CD / DVD write speed - 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD-R DL) / 8x (DVD+R DL) CD / DVD rewrite speed - 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM) Disc Labeling Technology - LightScribe Technology

Graphics Controller

Type - Integrated

Graphics Processor / Vendor -Intel GMA 950 Video Memory - Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0

Audio Output

Type - Sound card - Integrated Audio output compliant standards - High Definition Audio Input Device

Telecom

Modem - Fax / modem Max transfer rate - 56 Kbps

Networking

Networking - Network adapter - Integrated Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

1) it will go if there is a bios option to set your SATA to IDE (to be seen/treated like an IDE controller), otherwise you will need to install an IDE, or USB hard drive, as the SATA controller will be "transparent" to the install.

2) you have your video (GMA950), you need to "define" your audio, your network, and your modem (if you will be using it), by SPECIFIC maker (manufacturer) and model number. You may have to look at the mainboard, you may have to go to HP, and locate the windows driver for the info.