dell broadcom 1490, 10.5.1 kalyway... no wifi

Dave - i9400

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have kalyway 10.5.1 working on my inspiron 9400, the only thing not working is my wifi. I initially had the intel pro 3945 which I know doesn't work so I bought a dell broadcom 1490 off ebay. I was hoping it would detect the card upon boot but no luck.

I've tried following the steps in this tutorial but still no luck

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44114

Anyone with similar issues able to toss me some assistance? I don't show any airport devices installed (i've put it into a windows machine and it works fine) I've tried hitting the Fn + F2 key to "enable" the wifi but that never comes on. bluetooth works great etc...

thanks in advance

i can see the card in the bios...

i tried repairing permissions, which seemed to repair quite a few but still no wifi indicator in the menu bar.

is it just supposed to be detected and work? i've been using a USB ethernet for the time being and it would be great to have one less cord to worry about...

i can see the card in the bios...

i tried repairing permissions, which seemed to repair quite a few but still no wifi indicator in the menu bar.

is it just supposed to be detected and work? i've been using a USB ethernet for the time being and it would be great to have one less cord to worry about...

Try booting either without your battery, or without your power adapter. I know it sounds silly. But thats what fixed it for me. I had the 1490 working fine for awhile, then it just all of a sudden stopped working. Tried booting without the power adapter and that fixed everything. Good luck.

I fixed my problem by reinstalling OS X.. apparently i had downloaded and installed so many IO80211Family.kext's and done so much modification that the version #'s weren't matching anymore and since I didn't know how to fix it, I reinstalled. It worked right away.

I DID try the battery removal/boot up only on AC power thing before that... boy I had exhausted every troubleshooting technique I could find on the boards here... If I were more knowledgable about finding the version #'s and changing them etc I probably would have been able to fix it myself.

The cool thing is that I have a clean install again with only the kext's that I needed for my hardware instead of three dozen random stuff I downloaded and tried from here =]

Hey Dave, would you please let me know the chipset of your USB ethernet...

I am thinking of buying an USB ethernet...

Thanks in tons!

Sure! I bought an Airlink 101 USBSOHO device from Fry's electronics for $5.

i found a driver install for it at http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

and the chipset is AX8817x USB 2.0

i found a driver install for it at http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

and the chipset is AX8817x USB 2.0

Most of those devices are already supported with Leopard's own USB to Ethernet kext (AppleUSBtoEthernet).

Also there is another USB to Ethernet for Gigabit adapters.