10.5.1 and system crash during unzip big file

kardzi

3 posts in this topic

Hallo.Sorry.My english is very bad :-( Im Czech

I have 10.5.1 (Kayway) on my PC ( P5KC, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS, Q6600CPU)..

All working fine (except LAN - integral) but my PCI lan work fine.

I must booting via DVD, HDD first boot not working (blank screen)...this is no big problem...

My big problem is this....

I unzip file (500mb and larger) and system during of the process crash....Clear screen with text "Sytem must restart, hold down power buton..."

What is it??

Help me!!!

Hallo.Sorry.My english is very bad :-( Im Czech

I have 10.5.1 (Kayway) on my PC ( P5KC, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS, Q6600CPU)..

All working fine (except LAN - integral) but my PCI lan work fine.

I must booting via DVD, HDD first boot not working (blank screen)...this is no big problem...

My big problem is this....

I unzip file (500mb and larger) and system during of the process crash....Clear screen with text "Sytem must restart, hold down power buton..."

What is it??

Help me!!!

Try removing 1 stick of RAM. There is a known problem with Kalyway (and iAtkos too) where some motherboards have crashing problems with 4GB or more of RAM. I had crashing problems when copying large amounts of data between drives, using a 76GB iPhoto library, and using other big programs.

There are a few threads on this forum talking about potential fixes - including AHCI enable or using a MAXMEM statement on bootup. I use maxmem to limit my RAM to 3456MB and I have no more crashing.

I am running P5K (ICH9, 603 BIOS, board has no AHCI) and 3456 or say 3072 didn't work for me, had to remove 2 sticks, so running 2GB. So far so good.

I hear that there are old BIOSes for P5K and P5KC which support AHCI. One such BIOS is 406. You could try reverting to that BIOS through ezFlash and enabling AHCI... but you will of course loose two of your SATA ports.

I am pretty sure it should work, I just haven't had time to try it myself.