How to change video card without reinstall MacOSX ?

manu2b

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have MacOSX 10.4.8 on my Intel P4c AGP.

It was working fine with my ATI Radeon X1950XT, but now, I put back my old Radeon 9700 Pro, and when I'm booting, I'm finishing with a black screen instead of having the logon screen... :D

I guess the ATI drivers I have in my OSX should work for the 9700 as well, but I guess I need to delete the KText cache or something like that...

As I'm really not sure what procedure to follow, anyone could give me a little help..?

I'd rather avoid to do the whole OSX installation again... :D

Thanks in advance ! :P

I'm almost sure that the 9700 Pro is supported, as it worked on my previous installation of OSX 10.4.4 without any trouble. After that, I removed it just before I installed OSX 10.4.8 with the X1950XT.

But I'm clueless about what I have to do now, coz the startup doesn't reach the logon screen, so I cannot do anything within the OS...

Can I start the OSX in console mode ?

And from there, what commands should I use to change the KText used for the video card ?

I already did this, that's why I know it's blocking on the logon, coz the last line is about "LoginWindows"... and after, it's going all black (I never see the logo or anything else)...

I just tried -f as well, and it didn't change anything...

EDIT: and I think there's no special error ... But It's going quite fast, so not sure... It shows error message about display family, but it was already doing this when it was working with the previous card, if I recall well...