Tiger or Leopard server?

2 posts in this topic

Alright so heres the scoop. I just scored a Powerbook G4 Ti off eBay for $100 (1Ghz G4 1GB RAM 60GB HDD Combo Drive) a pretty good steal, and things in excellent condition (just need a new battery). Anyway I was thinking why not play around with a server? I had a linux box that I played with for awhile, but got bored and sold it. Now I have a "spare" mac to try this out on and the only thing I need you geeks to tell me the pros and cons of both systems. Basically I'm going to use it as a media server, FTP, File dump for my PCs and then maybe throw a wikki or something up.

Price isn't a huge issue, so I don't have a problem with spending $500 on a copy of leopard server, but if you think 10.4 is better, well I already know where I can get a copy. Also if you think more RAM is a must thats not a huge thing ithor, I figured 1GB would be enough, but have no problem going to 2

Cheers

Cameron

If you're planning to use the G4 PowerBook as your server, it's going to be fairly slow. Even if you max RAM, it will be a little slow serving up files. However it all depends on what you plan to use it for. If it's only to be used by yourself, you can deal. But if you ever plan to serve up a website, you'll need something faster. I currently am running a dual 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac with 4 GB RAM as my web server. It runs ok, but if if gets too much traffic it'll bog.

As far as which cat to use, I'd just use Tiger. Leopard will bring that PowerBook down already as is and once you start throwing files at it, it'll crawl. I'm using Tiger along with MAMP on my web server which covers all that I need. I also use it as an FTP dump.

Hope that helps a little bit. :D