DVD-Rom won't eject

LonelyTV

12 posts in this topic

I've ran into a strange issue with my install. It seems that my DVD-Rom drive won't eject after I've used it once. That is, after start up or a reboot if I eject and put a new DVD/CD in or if there's already one in there and I access it. I can't eject it from the drive. If I use the eject icon on the menu bar, finder locks up (well, I can still access the left side of the menu bar. I get a beach ball on the desktop and on the left side of the menu bar) and the button remains blue. If I press and hold F12 it shows the eject HUD but does nothing. Dragging the DVD/CD from the desktop to the trash or using the eject icon next to it in finder also does nothing. However, if I leave the drive empty I can open and close it whenever I please.

Also, once I try to eject it and attempt to look at System Profiler's "ATA" section or Disk Utility the programs forever 'works' and never comes up with anything, and if I attempt to restart or log out it does nothing at all.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

My drive is a NEC DVD-RW ND-2500A and I'm running a Nforce 4-4X board (ECS NFORCE4M-A).

• 3 months later...

I finally fixed the issue before I upgraded to a Intel board.

My issue was that I had both my DVD-Rom and the boot drive on the same IDE chain. I removed the hard drive and put it on it's own IDE cable and it worked perfectly.

Hope that helps!

I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe board and a Lite-on lightscribe SATA DVD drive. The hard drive is a Samsung, also SATA. I have the same issue with the DVD drive hanging if I leave a DVD in there for more than about 15 minutes without using it. If I switch out the DVDs within a few minutes of each other, there's no problem (like installing Final Cut Studio), but if I leave it long enough then it exhibits the same issue as above. It's almost as if the drive is going into sleep mode and won't wake. If so, it must be in a coma.

Has anyone figured the solution to this problem that's running SATA drives?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a RealMac issue as well, with some drives. I ran into the same problem. I have a Lite-On SATA DVDRW, and it does the behavior described in the topic. Once in, never out. Anyway, the easiest thing to do is pop open a terminal and type 'drutil tray open' or 'drutil eject' whicever you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have this problem as well. SATA hard disk drive and SATA DVD burner.

Also, when this happens, System Preferences hangs and cannot be force quit.

When I can log off and then log back on again, everything but Spotlight on the right side of the menubar will not appear.

Using Terminal commands isn't working either.

Can someone help me with this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...