Resolved====Install completed "Successful", now can't boot ?

roadrage

10 posts in this topic

I got a little frustrated having no install success on a VM and found this and decided I would f-up my work laptop. ;)

I have a Dell D600 single proc, 1GB, 60GB, some pos ATI on board, formerly an ubuntu gutsy box. I have burned the Kalyway DVD and booted from it, I choose "Disk Utility" and created partition and set to HFS Journeled, I then selected only SSE2 nothing else. The install completed and stated it was successful, so I removed the DVD and rebooted and then got the b0 error. I searched around and found that the b0 usually means that you have not set an active partition to boot from. I searched around and found this and did what it instructed, but still have no boot love. If I leave the DVD in and boot adding the -v, then it boots from the DVD all the way to the installation screen. If I leave the DVD and just boot it gets to the "You need to restart your computer grey screen. I have spent much time over the last few days reading to better understand this process and what I need to do, but I believe I have hit the wall now.

Any suggestions ?

--RR

I got a little frustrated having no install success on a VM and found this and decided I would f-up my work laptop. ;)

I have a Dell D600 single proc, 1GB, 60GB, some pos ATI on board, formerly an ubuntu gutsy box. I have burned the Kalyway DVD and booted from it, I choose "Disk Utility" and created partition and set to HFS Journeled, I then selected only SSE2 nothing else. The install completed and stated it was successful, so I removed the DVD and rebooted and then got the b0 error. I searched around and found that the b0 usually means that you have not set an active partition to boot from. I searched around and found this and did what it instructed, but still have no boot love. If I leave the DVD in and boot adding the -v, then it boots from the DVD all the way to the installation screen. If I leave the DVD and just boot it gets to the "You need to restart your computer grey screen. I have spent much time over the last few days reading to better understand this process and what I need to do, but I believe I have hit the wall now.

Any suggestions ?

--RR

I see no mention of setting the hard drive to guid partition or changing from the default efi_guid boot loader so if you installed on a partition that was created by windows/linux then that is on a mbr partition formatted with the HFS+, when doing it this way you must select the efi_mbr option in the Customize menu or alternatively repartitioning the drive guid formatting HFS+ then accepting the default bootloader efi_guid.

Hmmm...

Thank You for your response. I am pretty sure that is what I did when following the instructions. I think I may not have explained it properly, "repartitioning the drive guid formatting HFS+ then accepting the default bootloader efi_guid".

Could you please explain ? If I have a jorneled HFS partition which has now been marked as the active, are you stating that I need to reinstall ?

--RR

I see no mention of setting the hard drive to guid partition or changing from the default efi_guid boot loader so if you installed on a partition that was created by windows/linux then that is on a mbr partition formatted with the HFS+, when doing it this way you must select the efi_mbr option in the Customize menu or alternatively repartitioning the drive guid formatting HFS+ then accepting the default bootloader efi_guid.

Hmmm...

Thank You for your response. I am pretty sure that is what I did when following the instructions. I think I may not have explained it properly, "repartitioning the drive guid formatting HFS+ then accepting the default bootloader efi_guid".

Could you please explain ? If I have a jorneled HFS partition which has now been marked as the active, are you stating that I need to reinstall ?

--RR

Ok so you went into the Partitioning option of diskutil then when partitioning choose the Options and choose GUID for bootable OSX made your partition formatted HFS+ then went on to install using efi_guid for the boot loader? If this is what you did then I have no clue as to what went wrong as that is exactly what I did and it booted just fine I was thinking you installed onto MBR partitioned drive with efi_guid boot loader which does not work.

OK, I went back removed the partition, created a new guid partition formatted HFS and went through install. Again I received the Installation Successful, butthink I got a bit further this time. After rebooting I was able to reboot w/ out the DVD, but recieved a Kernel Panic message. I think this is expected as I saw the instructions:

"After install, there will be a kernel panic. To fix:

* Boot into -s mode

* Run terminal

* Delete the AppleBCM575x.kext file from your hard drive at: System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext

* Reboot & Enjoy"

Trying the instructions above, I was able to boot using the "-s" and navigate to the dir, but when I do a rmdir to AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext I get "Read-only file system" ?

I did boot using a -v and saw that in fact the halt was due to kernel panic and referenced the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, I just do not know how I can go about deleting it ?

OK, I went back removed the partition, created a new guid partition formatted HFS and went through install. Again I received the Installation Successful, butthink I got a bit further this time. After rebooting I was able to reboot w/ out the DVD, but recieved a Kernel Panic message. I think this is expected as I saw the instructions:

"After install, there will be a kernel panic. To fix:

* Boot into -s mode

* Run terminal

* Delete the AppleBCM575x.kext file from your hard drive at: System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext

* Reboot & Enjoy"

Trying the instructions above, I was able to boot using the "-s" and navigate to the dir, but when I do a rmdir to AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext I get "Read-only file system" ?

I did boot using a -v and saw that in fact the halt was due to kernel panic and referenced the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, I just do not know how I can go about deleting it ?

Took a while but I found it if I had know it was pretty much exactly like the linux command could have saved the time and just guessed it try this it assumes that you installed on the first partition of the first disk seen in the system.

sudo mount -o rw,remount /dev/disk0s1 /

Thanks for getting back to me, I think I am pretty close.

When trying the command above to remount with rw I get "mount_hfs: -o remount: option not supported". Just wondering, since I can't do a remount, could I boot using the install disk with a -s and then mount the drive and delete the .kext ?

--RR

Thanks for getting back to me, I think I am pretty close.

When trying the command above to remount with rw I get "mount_hfs: -o remount: option not supported". Just wondering, since I can't do a remount, could I boot using the install disk with a -s and then mount the drive and delete the .kext ?

--RR

I would give that a try except that just boot to the installer then go into the diskutil and see how the partition with your install is mounted if mounted read/write then you can open a terminal from the installer and edit the drive if mounted read only then use the unmount option in diskutil then open the terminal to mount the partition.

OK, so waiting for a reply and had not heard anything. I ended up booting using the install disk once into the graphic installer I went to the root of the harddrive which is listed under /Volumes/yourpartitionname and navigated to System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5751.kext/Contents/MacOS, I deleted the file AppleBCM5751Ethernet.

After deleting the file I rebooted with no CD and went right into initial boot Q:'s and then launched desktop. Well now, that was a good waste of my Sunday.

So now that I have it up and running the first thing I went to do and it failed. I can"t get on the network, although I have a connection and showing link light, the system does not see the adapter or send a DHCP request. So back to reading and hopefully this will help someone else.

Thanks to Macuser2525 for giving me a push towards the right door when I needed it.